Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stripped & seized oil drain plug help!

Posted by kevinkeli (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 18:08

My garage sale Snapper V212 mower (which has a 1987 Briggs Max series 4hp I/C engine) has a oil drain plug (square shoulder "protruding", not recessed type) that is stuck in place, and the 4 points of the plug are slightly rounded from what appears to be vise grip slippage. The casting design of this deck makes it difficult to use a crescent wrench,which wouldn't work anyway due to the strippage, and a standard socket slips. The oil dipstick says drain/fill, but any ideas on how to get that plug out of the bottom of the engine?? Maybe a special 4-point socket?

Thanks

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stripped & seized oil drain plug help!

If all else fails, try an oil suction gun, available at tractor and auto supply stores.
If the corners are rounded off badly, maybe you can have someone drill it carefully and use an "easy-out" on it. This along with vise-grips, too.

o

Why not use a vise grips to remove it and replace with a new hex headed plug?

o

A 3/8" extension fits it perfectly if I remember correctly. Put the extension on it and use a good adjustable wrench to turn the other end. As far as oil changes go it's easier to tip the mower over.

o

Either leave it alone (if it's not leaking) and dump old oil by tipping as rdaystrom said, or get a vacuum pump as rusty said (my favorite method). This will come in handy on your autos and trucks too. Later model mowers have an extended oil fill tube to avoid getting oil on the deck when tipping to dump, but yours may have the short fill housing with no dipstick. The pump really works great on these because you can actually see the bottom of the crankcase. I prop up the the hot mower on the ramp to my shed so the oil fill is at the low point, then vacuum out the oil. This is so quick and clean you'll wonder why you haven't been doing it all along.

o

If you're still willing, hardware stores sell a tool "socket" to remove stripped bolts. It digs into the bolt head. It has worked for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here