Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs Quantum 6hp won't shut off

Posted by vinnie_s NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 18:14

Briggs Quantum 6hp on Craftsman push mower would not shut off when I let go of the safety. It has been slowly getting to the point where it would not shut off right away, but then this is the first time it kept running.

Here is where it gets weird. I pulled the plug wire in an attempt to kill the mower, and it ran without the wire attached! (play Twi-light Zone music).

Can anyone explain this to me? Can a bad kill switch do this?

BTW, this mower is 14 years old and has been indestructible. This engine has been incredible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs Quantum 6hp won't shut off

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 20:02

You can still buy "glow plug" type model airplane engines, and these also run with no power supplied to the spark plug. If there are accumulated carbon deposits in the cylinder head, the carbon can get hot and act as a glow plug, keeping the engine running, if fuel and air are available. If you can get it to run without fuel and air, now that would be something strange.

o

Well, that could explain that. It was running hot. The engine was smoking after shutdown. There was plenty of oil in it and it was clean. The primer bulb also needs to be replaced.

I hope you were right about the carbon deposits. LOL

o

Well, it sounds like it is dieseling. I googled it and that is what it sounds like. I have to look at the plug. If that is OK, there is carbon buildup in the cylinder. How do I clean carbon deposits without ripping the engine apart? Can I even do that?

o

Chances are if you cleaned all the dead grass etc. from under the cooling tins that your problem would go away.

o

All you guys were right. I replaced the plug because the old one had carbon buildup. Also, I removed the top and blew out the dead grass from the fins and airflow. Man, was it clogged! That grass caused the heat to go up. The grass was also scorched. Fired right up and shut right down! I also replace the fuel line as the old one was really badly cracked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here