Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brankif

Pull start tool

brankif
10 years ago

I made this unit during recovery from surgery.
It could work from a battery drill ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDXgljybZ4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq6Q6ZFqdAc

Or battery Chainsaw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET3wUuR4UmQ

Is it worth trying to make into a product ?
Comments most welcome.
Thanks.

This post was edited by brankif on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 15:52

Comments (15)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Very creative indeed. Is it marketable at a price that people would pay? Good question. Would the typical housewife lay out the expense to be able to pull start her equipment? If so what would she pay? As a tool for someone that had a semi permanent or permanent injury that prevented them from starting everything they own? Maybe more so. Would be even better if their insurance would pay for it...

• baymee
    10 years ago

Definitely interesting. I have a 35 year old Stihl chainsaw that is a bear to start because of no primer bulb.

I wonder how the tool would be affected by the kickback caused when the flywheel key is partially sheared.

This post was edited by baymee on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 17:45

• andyma_gw
    10 years ago

Must be a big'un Baymee. The 041 FarmBoss starts in 4 or 5 drops. 2 on full choke. Then choke off.

• baymee
    10 years ago

It used to start easy when new. I can't figure it out.

• brankif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think there would be much problem with kick-back due to the momentum of the turning electric motor in the electric drill/saw. I like the idea about insurance paying for it - I don't think they would pay for many though. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

• andyma_gw
    10 years ago

Well , let me update the Stihl start saga. I sprained my right wrist. Starting the saw was painful, Left handed was too awkward. I grit my teeth and pulled the saw. Each pull was a bit better. I went for the carb cleaner and gave it a squirt into the throat . I pulled and it was much easier. The saw started and I was cutting wood. I wonder if the rings dry out and drag until the mix gets to them.

That rig would prolong the usefulness of my pull start 5kw generator. Please market this starter. Id buy one.

• rcmoser
    10 years ago

I prime that old school crap every time before I try to start it when they been setting (two days or two years). It starts much easier and easier on my shoulder only having to pull two or three times vs. baker's dozen without priming.

• brankif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks andyma for taking the time to comment. I'll let you know when I have a unit to try out.

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

ntxt

Here is a link that might be useful: Elec Starter

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

Tell you what, buddy, I think you better get a patent on that.

• brankif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that. Patent is applied for. Would you think you might buy one ?

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

Probably not at this time, but maybe in a few years. The thing is, most people have the ability to pull the starter cord, and a mower in good operating condition will start. But trimmers, chain saws, etc. get neglected and can be bears to start sometimes. Then you have the people who do not have the ability for multiple pulls of the starter cord, combined with equipment that's out of order to some extent, which describes most of the OPE out there. Your device could be very useful in those applications.

• andyma_gw
    10 years ago

Aint none of us getting younger. At 62, I'm slow and painful on the move. But I move. The population is aging . Anything that helps is worth worth it. My stuff is old but functional. It was no trouble to pull over 3 yrs ago.

• Brian Horne
    7 years ago

Hi there...I am very interested in a product like this...have you got it launched if so how can I buy one

• tombarb2016
    7 years ago

I am a disabled veteran, and would buy a unit in a heart beat.