Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rebuild a Honda GX120?

Posted by gtr19 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 10 at 20:02

A little advice please. I am rebuilding/ reconditioning a Bluebird aerator with a Honda GX120. I purchased this from a Home Depot rental that was closing. The stop switch had been broken and rather than fix it, they just parked it. Then I came along, took a chance, and took it off their hands CHEAP. I replaced the switch and it started right up. I didn't really need an aerator. I kind of bought it for fun and to re-sell, but I got such a good deal I couldn't bring myself to sell it.

Ultimately, it sat for a couple years and got carb rot. So, I'm doing a little work on it to get it running for spring and was wondering how far I should go. I was considering rebuilding the engine both because I have no idea of the units history (rentals aren't exactly treated well) and for fun/ to learn. However, I don't really want to spend the cash if it isn't even close to needing a rebuild. A compression test showed 70 PSI, but I have read that compression tests aren't accurate on these motors due to a relief valve. It ran good previously and has no leaks that I can find; although it did seem oily under the gas tank behind the flywheel. The only thing that really concerns me is a lot of carbon build up in the exhaust port, but guess I don't really know what's normal.

Thoughts? Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rebuild a Honda GX120?

Best bet is to run it. See if it runs ok, and if it smokes continuously, or just at start-up. A bit of damp looking oil in places does not necessarily call for a re-build! Keep a check on oil usage. No use spending lots of money, if it doesn't need it.
Oil under the gas tank could have been caused by the kid who worked for the company was always spilling gas by over-filling the tank!
And, if you want to learn about engine innards, go to the local mower shop, and ask for a bad engine out of their scrap pile, and practice on that! No use tearing into a good engine, that might have a very small oil leak!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here