Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph1_gw

10W 30 versus 5W 30

steph1
13 years ago

Was getting a snowblower ready for winter...in reading the manual, it calls for 5W 30. However, there is an asterick saying 10W 30 is an acceptable substitute.

So I figure, lets try the recommended one...and the store has a quart for $5 (tax not included). I say, no thanks because I am thinking I have a case of 10W 30 at home. Could not choke up that amount for oil.

Is this a big deal? Any downside to using 10 verus 5W?

Comments (15)

• andyma_gw
    13 years ago

How cold does it get where you live?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Its all about film strength and cold starting ease . If you live in a very cold climate -30 F without a heated garage you may have starting issues with the 10w-30 . I have used it with electric start , but with manual starting you may be cursing lol . You only change oil once a yr is $5.00 asking all that much ?

• roadbike
    13 years ago

"Was getting a snowblower ready for winter...in reading the manual, it calls for 5W 30. However, there is an asterick saying 10W 30 is an acceptable substitute."

I suspect that the instructions say 10w30 is accceptable in a higher temperature range. However, if the primary number says 5w30 then go with it. If you are using synthetic that's $5.00 per year, or $3.30 if the sump holds .66 quart like many smaller engines. It you are using dino oil it's cheaper still.

• lbpod
    13 years ago

I'm guessing that the $5 stuff was synthetic and the
    case you had at home is what is called 'dino' oil,
    which is much cheaper, but not as good, say some.

• steph1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My climate is NJ, so not too cold. The oil for $5 was plain oil...but was tagged for marketing as Techumseh Snow King snowblower oil.

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

Like ewalk said, it's all about oil temperature at start-up. If the machine is subject to outside temps in storage, and assuming the temp will be 32F or less when the snow blower is needed, I would go with 5W30 full-synthetic or synthetic blend. The lower number will provide easier starting and engine lubrication until the oil warms up. The high number takes over and protects the hot engine.
    I would use the 5W30 at any starting oil temp of 40F or below, which I would say covers any snow-blowing situation.
    Save the 10W30 for vehicles that can use it and/or your lawn equipment.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Most Snowblowers go through at least a quarter of a quart of oil a season due to thermal cycling of the oil and blow by until the rings clear after initial start-up during extreme colder temperatures. Thus the use of Synthetic has its Pro's within these conditions in more ways than one . I agree with Sax use the 10W for the Summer Units is a better application lol :) .

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Don't buy machine manufacturer branded oil - you are just paying for a fancied up label. I think you are over-analyzing a very simple question. Just find the recommended 5w30 oil at an auto parts store or WalMart. Check the oil level every time before the engine is started and change it once a season. Think of it as maintaining a lawn mower for snow.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

"Check the oil level every time before the engine is started and change it once a season" The most important fact of all on any small Air-Cooled Engine ! Good Reminder RB .

• mike_home
    13 years ago

I live in central NJ. My 13 year old MTD snowblower uses 10W-30. I keep it in my unheated garage and always starts on the first pull. I think you will be fine using either oil.

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

"Check the oil level every time before the engine is started and change it once a season" The most important fact of all on any small Air-Cooled Engine ! Good Reminder RB ."

Totally true.

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

""Check the oil level every time before the engine is started and change it once a season" The most important fact of all on any small Air-Cooled Engine ! Good Reminder RB ."

Hmmmm....I haven't done that on any of my Lawnboys the entire time I've owned them. LOL

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Probably has something to do with you Oil and Gas Mix Ratio Orange ...Roflmbo !

Note: Just Kidding , I couldn't help myself Bro :)

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

Nah, it's all the TC-W3 that keeps 'em running so fresh. :)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Yep , I think it must be that Magic TC-W3 Blend of Your's .... Yep I certainly Do ! :)