Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1saxman

Mulching Leaves Into Lawn

1saxman
15 years ago

I have only been doing a very little of this, but Scott's is now saying it's good to mulch all your leaves into the lawn, to the point that you see grass tips only. I know some have been doing that but I was surprised by Scott's endorsement. So, I guess I'll be trying it. I already know that mulching piles/rows of leaves in place in flower beds, around trees, etc. is great for whatever is growing there. In nature, topsoil accretes at the rate of 1" in 100 years. By mulching leaves, I have seen a tenfold increase in the formation of humus. Mulched leaves turn to rich, black soil almost before your eyes. I wasn't doing it on the lawn because I had always heard that the leaves were acidic and would stunt the growth of the lawn. Evidently that is not true. So, here's the link and you can check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scott's Leaf-Mulching Page

Comments (8)

• rdaystrom
    15 years ago

Been mulching leaves all my life. On fresh healthy grass mulch is ok as long as you don't over do it. Covering the grass or simply leaving the leaves on there in a thick layer will reveal no grass in the spring.

• 1saxman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The trick is to hit the lawn as often as it takes during leaf season to keep ahead of it. If you don't, you will be forced to bag the chopped leaves after mulching unless you want to resort to raking. If it means twice a day, that's what you do. For you poor devils who are not retired, and considering it will soon be dark when you get home after work, I guess it will be kind of tough. By all means hit it before it rains on the leaves. If you don't, you will be forced to rake.

• baymee
    15 years ago

I live in the woods and have always mulched leaves into the lawn for the past 31 years. Never a problem.

• weed_cutter
    15 years ago

I'll pull weeds out if the beds, throw them onto the lawn and mulch/mow. Surprizingly the weeds don't spread into the grass.

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

Last year was the first time i mulched the maple and oak leaves into the lawns at my place, and the grass was better looking this summer -better than ever before! Guess it'll get the same treatment this fall.

• 1saxman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The oak leaves are the ones that are supposed to be too acidic, so that's good info. I'm going to do this for sure this time, starting today, as they are starting to fall. Even if you miss a few days and they get too thick, mulch them anyway, then raise the deck and bag. This will take off the excess and you can dump the bag in raised beds. I highly recommend a dust mask when working with dry leaves. The dust will raise Hobb with your head even if you're not allergic to it.

• lawnmowerdan
    15 years ago

try using a snapper hi-vac for this duty-you will be amazed! there is no better machine for this. leaves disapear into dust when using a gator blade.

• kenmc5
    15 years ago

IÂve been mulching leaves for the last 4 years. I use a gator blade on a LB 10247. If I get behind, I mulch once, then bag. Depending on the weather and my time there has been a few years that IÂve never bagged. Some times I go over the yard 3 times before the leaves are mulched enough to suit me. It took me a while to get used to the look of the chopped up leaves left in the yard.

Mulching leaves along with raising mowing height to 3 Â 3.5, frequent aeration, and rye/fescue over seeding has made our lawn look great with out fertilizer & weed killer and/or sprinkling.