Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Lawn boy repair!

rustyj14
10 years ago

Well, folks, from the fertile mind of Rusty Jones comes this tid-bit of info:
I have found the perfect way to make a Lawn boy mower start and run!
First though giffs some explanation:
A man called me to see if i might be able to get his Lawn-boy started, so i told him to bring it out to my home.
Seems he lives about 20 miles from me, so he showed up about an hour later. He made sure he was at the right place, and got his walk-behind, push, Lawn-boy mower out of his car. He pushed it down onto the lawn (grass) and primed it, then pulled the rope and VOILA'!
It started and ran perfectly! HMMM?! And, stayed running!
So--there ya go---just bring your recalcitrant lawn boy to my house, and it will start and run-on and on, until you have to shut it off! I didn't have the heart to take his cash, but he offered it any way!
So, he bundled it up, stuffed it in his car, we shook hands, and he went home!
Like an old black gentleman whom i worked with said:" Them's the Woogums talkin, Jimmy! Ya have to be careful of them. They have been known to steal yer kids!" I don't know if thats true or not, but they sure can fix Lawn Boy mowers! RJ

Comments (18)

• walt2002
    10 years ago

Hey Rusty, good to hear from you, I've been wondering how you were doing I think you were having a rough time.

Walt Conner

• baymee
    10 years ago

Good to see you again, Rusty.

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Hows your Home Cooking Progressing Bro :)

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, boys--I'm managing to to cook some things for myself. But, i take a break and go out to eat twice a week. Was up to my son's home yesterday for dinner. Him and his wife are good cooks. She cooks for a local gin-mill, in Zelienople, PA. Heck, i'll drive 30 miles for her meals, any day.
    Oh, i'll make it. Not to worry. Thanks for your thoughts and concern! Rusty J.

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

On the Lawn-Boy repair, I think the ride over in the truck unstuck the float and let fuel into the fuel bowl. Probably all he had to do was to pick up the back of the mower and drop it once or twice.

• baymee
    10 years ago

LOL. At first glance, I thought you said "I would ride over it with the truck" LOL. Something I'd like to do. LOL

• shaggnasty
    10 years ago

While we're on the subject of Lawn Boys, what would make my cheapo Craigslist special (7265) lose power in even slightly tall grass? It starts and runs like a champ but starts to bog down when cutting grass a little taller than the blade height.

edited to add that the exhaust ports were clean and I cleaned out the muffler, hoping this would fix it but it did not.

This post was edited by shaggnasty on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 15:41

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Rusty atta boy ! Cudos on the Home cooking , Yeah I try to get the better half to go out for supper at least once a week for some variety lol. Shag: Have you checked the air filter and carb adjustments it may well be running a little lean which will cause issues within torgue under load. Check you Spark Plug Colour which will confirm the state of engine tuning Black / dark brown (Rich) white / tanish (lean)

• rcmoser
    10 years ago

" lose power in even slightly tall grass" Don't all lawn boys do that!!! HEE hee!

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

Possibly the governor is not working right or needs adjustment. A number of things could cause it run weakly, like a bad reed valve or leaking crankcase seals. 'Clean exhaust ports' raises an eyebrow - that alone might indicate a lean condition. In addition to the crankcase seals, look for air leaks, starting at the carb mounting screws.

• bogman
    10 years ago

Shagg, that mower uses a rather funky carb that wasn't Lawn Boy's best idea. It has a short round tube that inserts into the reed plate and is attached to the mower with a single screw. An O ring is used for sealing. They can come loose causing an air leak.
    If you have a Lawn Boy junk pile around, a C engine carb and reed plate will bolt right on and work well.

• shaggnasty
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great tips, but I think I've found the problem with my 7265: there is no governor rod attached. I wonder if that's why it runs so hard that I'm afraid it's going to take off, hovercraft-style. I'm sure I can't be so lucky as to just attach the rod, when I find one, and call it quits.

• shaggnasty
    10 years ago

Just a little bump (hope that's OK) to hopefully find out about my governor rod issue.

• walt2002
    10 years ago

Well it is entirely possible as they did have a tenancy to slip out of the hole in the carb shaft arm. Keep in mind there are two lengths of these rods and I don't recall which one yours takes.

You might have better luck with a new thread in the appropriate forum rather than piggy backing on Rusty's post.

Walt Conner

• shaggnasty
    10 years ago

Thanks Walt. What would be the appropriate forum?

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Shag : Same Forum , just start you own Thread Entitled Lawnboy 7265 Govenor Arm ...Etc lol !

• shaggnasty
    10 years ago

Well, a new topic won't be necessary...the governor rod did the trick. Snagged one off eBay, put it on and cut the yard. Runs like a champ now.

Thanks to all for the help.

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Shag: Great to hear , thanks for the follow up !