Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smalllawnbigdreams

Mclane 20" 3.5 rp7 Help Needed!

smalllawnbigdreams
10 years ago

I picked up a Mclane second hand as a project first, and to help improve my lawn second. The engine started up first pull, but the mower needed a back-lapping and reel to bed-knife adjustment. Upon adjusting the reel, I realized the drive chain for the reel (called the side plate chain in the owner's manual) is veeeery slack. So slack that it is making contact with the front chain guard mount, and has worn a small groove in the front mount. Some questions: #1 Is there a way to tighten the tension on this belt without adjusting the reel away from the bed-knife? (which would stop the contact, but not cut grass) #2 Is it possible that this mower (2001) has a chain that is simply worn out/stretched? #3 Is it possible that the mower has been backlapped/sharpened enough over the years that there is no meat left on the bone (bedknife or reel) and any adjustments will make this chain slack.
Taking out a link makes the chain too short. The mower is set at the factory setting for the back axel. and the front settings have made no difference in the chain tension. Any help is appreciated.

This post was edited by smalllawnbigdreams on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 21:28

Comments (3)