Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman mower

Posted by ajbleakney none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 22:06

We have a Craftsman push mower with a 6.75hp Briggs & Stratton. It refused to start a while back and I replaced the spark plug..still nothing. So I removed the magneto, cleaned it and put it back together. It ran fine for 3 or 4 weeks, no problem starting it at all. Then it quit running again. I replaced the magneto today and it started right up first try, and second and refused to afterwards. I thought about taking the carburetor off & cleaning it or ordering a carb rebuild kit..not sure what my next step should be. Any ideas what is going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman mower

here is one idea:
check the shut off switch that is controlled by the bale on the handlebar. Due to wear, weak linkage, or corroded cable, the contact may still be grounding the ignition.

2nd idea:
remove the air filter and examine the venturi tube while depressing the primer bulb. You should see fuel pumped from the float bowl. Sometimes, the gasket between the carburetor and air filter housing deteriorates and the primer bulb is not effective.

o
RE: Craftsman mower

When you are having the problem, check for spark.
IF you have spark, prime the carb with a couple teaspoons of gas and see if it fires.
That way you can isolate the problem to fuel or electrical.

Providing the engine Model & Type numbers would allow one to know WHICH Briggs you have.
Knowing which type of carb used simplifies things greatly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here