Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cope_gw

Won't Start I have a Scotts Riding Mower L-1742

cope
15 years ago

It won't start, it won't crank. I replaced sylanoid, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plug. Headlights will come on and I'm thinking maybe safety switch or ignition switch. Can someone help?

Comments (12)

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Does he solenoid click?
    IF not, try jumping 12V directly to the SMALL terminal and see if it cranks. That'll let us know which troubleshooting path to pursue.

Scotts are/were made by various manufacturers, so additional model/engine numbers wouldn't hurt.

• tomplum
    15 years ago

The Deere made ones have an issue at times with the the deck engagement lever tab not hitting the safety switch. There is a kit to fix. As Bill said #s would help. Also note if you can turn the engine by hand to confirm something isn't locking it physically.

• nix1161
    14 years ago

My scotts 2046 is dead too but I dont have lights. I have replaced the battery, solenoid, relay, light bulbs, and ignition and still nothing. Help

• nix1161
    14 years ago

I just sucessfully crossed the posts on the solenoid and got it to turn over but it wont fire.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Determine if you have spark or not and report back

• nix1161
    13 years ago

no spark

• lynnprothro_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I have a Scotts Model #46562X8 - 18 HP/46" cruise control that won't start. Where is the location of the mower engage switch?

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Lynn- The switch is activated via a flat spot on the deck engagement handle.

• HU-271414766
    3 years ago

My dad has same mower 24 hp brigs electric blade switch/ deck switch

new ignition switch, new solenoid

engine cranks when you jump sol. Won’t start no spark fuse next to starter ok. if cranks when you jump sol. But don’t start. make sure key is on. its probably not ignition module. He has seat & brake switch ordered. hopefully one of those fixes it. he already tried all this before he talked with me. i would have tried jumping each switch first

• Lisa Moses
    3 years ago

Engine starts, but only runs with choke pulled all the way out. Any idea why?

• upup_and_away
    3 years ago

Lisa - I take it yours is a different mower. You should have made it as a new post.

btw, likely your carb bowl and metering screw is dirty.

• Antonio Cortez Jr.
    2 years ago

Try the electronic control module that should do the trick...