Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynno

Gravely zero-turn is history. What to do now?

wynno
17 years ago

Hi all. Has the list of favorite zero-turns changed much over the last 18 months? If not, just ignore this post.

IÂve just divorced myself from a 60" gravely that was an absolute lemon. If for nothing else though, I did get attached to the zero-turn and don't think I could ever have anything else.

My yard is 4 acres of medium smoothness non-treed grass (formerly used for horses). 3.5 acres of it is bahia, and the rest is st. augustine.

I'm in the early stages; trying to create a short list. Then I'll go test drive them. These seem to be favs of folks on these forums.

SKAG, DEERE, DIXIE CHOPPER

Then there's these, but they don't seem to generate as many comments:

CUB CADET, GRASSHOPPER

I recall reading in here last year that GravelyÂs zero-turns came about through its relationship with Ariens, and that the quality of their zero-turns is not like the tractors they made in past. Whether thatÂs true I donÂt know, but hereÂs my Gravely experience, FWIW.

March 2006: during the third cut of this season, my mower breaks down. This was after breaking down at the end of 2005 (October, too late to cut anymore), and this was after 3 prior breakdowns in the same season. Last year, my dealer pleaded with me to keep it saying that, "We've replaced just about everything on it---I don't know what else could go wrong." I decided to try it one more year.

After the March repair, it had worked beautifully, just as it did the first season. I enjoyed six months of trouble-free cutting. Six weeks ago though, it stranded me. After a two-week absence (waiting on a part), I was able to get 1 1/2 more cuts out it. Then it quit AGAIN. That was the last straw. I told my dealer to come and haul it off---I never wanted to lay eyes on it again.

FWIW, the dealer was great, so much so that if someone was looking for a new mower, I would send them his way (though with a caveat towards a Gravely). Within a week, he had it sold to someone and waived his consignment commission. I got $2700 for it. Not bad I suppose. OTOH, it had ONLY 500 HOURS on it. I hope the next poor sap has better luck than I did.

Some may say that I have overreacted, but IMO, if breaking down 3-5 times per year is the typical fare for today, then itÂs time to throw in the towel and hire a service. Life is simply too short to put up with it.

I've seen similar complaints from all the top manufacturers in this forums (dixie chopper was the last I read), so I suppose I'm down to just trying find the greatest number of positive comments and throwing dice.

Comments (13)

• gorper99
    17 years ago

The regular Scag is kind of expensive,but well worth it.They are coming out with a new one(home owner version)I believe it is going to sell for around $4500.00.The place where I work makes them and it appears to be quite a bargain.Well made and we really do a severe testing on them.Should be available soon.

• js_ct
    17 years ago

I see more Exmarks being used by the pros than Scag, around here, anyway. Check their website.

• gruntlaborer_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I am a huge fan of the Hustler ZTR mower. I was just doing research for my next purchase. Even though I am a fan of Hustler lawn mowers, I still like to research to see what the others are doing.

I stumbled across your post because I was trying to learn about who started the ZTR technology. I always thought it was Hustler and was right (well, technically it was a guy who invented it on his own because he was fed up but he partnered with Hustler and chose the name to manufacturer it.)

Here is the post on the History of the original Hustler ZTR mowers.

Please share your thoughts if I am wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hustler Turf Equipment's website

• gpipkin
    14 years ago

I too own a Gravely 2350 and I now hate it. I've had it for three years. This summer the bearings went out on a pulley, the deck broke, the bearings went out on the front wheel, and the spindles have worn out. What a piece of junk. I wouldn't recommend a Gravely to anyone or the dealership in this town. Don't waste your money. It will cost you a lot more in the long run.

• k9quad
    13 years ago

Geez!! I hate to hear that about Gravely's as I was considering getting one to replace the Husqvarna lemon that I have. Whatever you get, stay away from Husqvarna and John Deere!!!

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

About 2 1/2 years ago I was in the market for a new ZTR. I looked at most all the brands around here and had narrowed it down to Dixie Chopper and Hustler, or at least I thought. I then stopped my a little local dealer carrying a brand called Country Clipper. I found them to be robust and innovative. The 2 features that sold me were the tilt up deck for easy access to the blades and the single joystick control. I was skeptical about the joystick, but after 20 minutes with it, it's great. You have your off hand to push things like overhanging limbs and bushes away from you. I love it. I have the 52' Jazee Pro. Check them out before you buy. Here's a link to their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Clipper

• gofastgator
    13 years ago

Check out either the Exmark Quest or Toro Titan Z series. Great machines for the money (They are the same machine). Also, spring for the Kawi or Kohler engines.

• brice_classicnet_net
    13 years ago

I too bought a Gravely 2350 in 2006.
    BIG MISTAKE! Lemon-City!
    Today I found another broken deck (3d counting original)- poor design or cheap materials. I know I will get no help from the dealer but I will complain to the highest officer in their company - personally and not friendly either. $250 plus installation. I do it myself so I know it's done correctly.
    Run from Gravelys!

• LarryN259_msn_com
    13 years ago

I bought a greavely 260z in 2004, I still have the mower and can say I get the same cut as I did when it was new! ( LOL) That is not bragging, it has left a streak on the left side since it was new, it has been to three dealers, two here in IL. and one in MO., they have changed the deck, blade spindles, pulleys, about everything you can, it still cuts the same, Gravely has sent me a letter telling me as far as they are concerned it is fixed, I get sick everytime I use this mower, they told me not to worry when it was new, that they could fix it, but still have not and have stopped trying, oh they even told me it was the motor being weak, so I paid to have it overhauled last year, still have the same streak, I have talked to everyone from the Pres. to district reps. very unhappy about the way they lead me on till they just said goodbye!

• dolphin_79605
    12 years ago

Wynno, your posting is nearing 5 years since writing. What did you get after the Gravely and how has the new machine performed since? Inquiring minds wish to know... Mick

• earthworm
    12 years ago

So, Gravely, Husqvarna,Deere?, maybe all of them are no good. ??
    Scag seems to be OK.
    Toro ???
    Its so sad and stupid when our manufacturers play Russian Roulette with quality.
    All lose,even the wealthy businessmen, including our nation, in the long run...
    We must learn from the Germans and Japanese..

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

Gravely isn't what is used to be but Husky and JD depend on where you buy. You get better quality from them if you shop the dealers instead of Lowes and Home Depot. They make different lines for the box stores.

• Jim Rogers
    8 years ago

I also have a 2350. Have had it for 10 years and my only problem has been with the deck mounts breaking, But I have to admit I have been hard on it, hitting roots etc. I had one of the first zero turns they came out with before the 2350 also, and it was an engineering nightmare. BUT love the new ones, just purchased a ZTX 52 with fabricated deck. Would like to sell the 2350 but going to be hard to do with a welded up stamped deck. Does anyone know where a GOOD used deck would be available?