Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White smoke from tractor

Posted by Fiddler-12345 none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 0:47

I have a MTS 5500 Sears garden tractor, bought new in 2008 and has about 127 hours on it. When I start it, after 1 or 2 minutes it begins to emit heavy white smoke. I tried changing the oil, but it didn't help. It is too new to be worn out. Any ideas would be appreciated. I can get no help from Sears unless I take it in and they charge me big time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White smoke from tractor

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 9:43

Does the smoke have an odor?

o

I don't think it has an odor. I'll try smelling it the next time I'm up there to start it. It is not at my home in Houston, but at my ranch 80 miles north. Is the odor a clue?

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 0:55

There has to be oil mist getting into the exhaust somehow to have white smoke. If there was too much oil in the combustion chamber, due to worn rings or worn valve guides, the exhaust smoke would more likely be black. In both cases, you would notice heavy oil consumption.

o

Oil in the combustion chamber results in white/bluish smoke.
Too much fuel results in black smoke.

o

Thanks for the info. I don't really know where to go from here except to Sears. The tractor is practically new.

o

When asking an engine question it is imparitive to give the make and model number of the engine to get good advice. IF this is an OHV engine there is a good chance the problem is a leaking head gasket, leaking between the cylinder and the push rod gallery. Remove the air cleaner and look for signs of oil in the carb intake.

I MAY have a Service Manual if you would like one. Address below, put in proper format and remind me, engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

o

Also check you oil level excessive oil level will cause white / bluish exhaust smoke and uneven idle .

o

Does it stop after 5 minutes or so? It may just be condensation in the exhaust. E10 exhaust has sweet smelling steam in it for several minutes in my cars. Water drips out the tail pipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here