Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustangm

Old McCulloch Generator

mustangm
13 years ago

I was given this old generator and I'm hoping to use it to keep my sump pump running during power outages this winter. B&S Model 80212-9819-01 77090903. No marking at all on the carb. Searched for a manual online but could not find. I have a few concerns with this:

{{gwi:143600}}

{{gwi:143601}}

My first concern is with the metal fuel tank. When I received it there was no fuel in the tank. The inside of the tank shows signs of either light rust or light corrosion.

{{gwi:143602}}

{{gwi:143603}}

What is the best way to cleanup the inside of this tank?

My next concern is with the carb. I have never seen a carb like this before. I actually like how the choke slides open/closed at the far end of the carb. The inside of the carb is shiny clean. I do not see any signs of old fuel or varnish. The only parts that look a bit compromised are the 2 plastic fuel lines hanging under it. On the backside (cannot see in the pic) there are 4 small screws that secure a plate. Under this plate is a rubber diaphram, spring and spring plate. What should I do as far as rebuilding this carb? What parts should I replace?

{{gwi:143604}}

My last question is when/if I get this running, how do I adjust the fuel flow? I see one screw (jet?) in the side of the carb. I also see this vertical link with a screw/spring at the top - located between the engine and carb. It seems to be connected to the governor linkage. What does this adjustment do?

Thank you all for the expert advice.

Comments (13)

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

CLR overniht should clean rust away its bathroom cleaning product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rust remover

• mustangm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a quick followup. CLR overnight cleaned up the corrosion in the fuel tank really nice. I put it all back together last night, filled the tank to the top, and it started right up. It runs perfect, no sputtering. I read that I should keep a metal tank full to the top when not in use. Is there anything else special that I need to know about maintaining a metal fuel tank? Thanks

• lbpod
    13 years ago

Plug an electrical load in,
    to see if it generates current.
    Measure the voltage.
    Try it with the sump pump.

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

put some 2 cycle gas in tank when dry turn motor over so coat tank pour 2 cycle gas out this small amount oil stop future rusting cover tank so humid air can't enter tank in storeage. The cap may need same attenion as tank.

• mustangm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks lbpod. So far I have only plugged in a garage light and it works fine. I will hook my multimeter up to get a voltage reading. I assume it should be around 110-120 volts?

Thanks gator for the great advice!

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

"I assume it should be around 110-120 volts?"

Depends on if it's regulated or not. Don't be too worried if it's somewhat higher with no load on it.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Nice find Mustangm , good to see it has found a Good Second Home . I love it when Oldies but Goodies are resurrected !

• roadbike
    13 years ago

You should try starting and running the sump pump motor before the power outage. You should have some margin for running the motor but the starting draw could be problematic for a 1,200 watt generator. Don't forget to isolate your pump from the rest of the house circuit before plugging it in. Or pull the house fuse.

Here's a useful reference with information about several appliances: http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/usage_chart.html

• mustangm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great info, Thanks. So I took out my multimeter and to confirm what I was doing I tested voltage in an outlet in my garage. It read 120.9 volts. I then started the generator and tested both outlets on the generator the same way (black lead in the round grounding hole, red lead in the short slot). I got no reading at all on the multimeter. I tested both plugs on the generator. Not sure why I cannot get a reading.

For more testing, I plugged in my 3/4 hp bench grinder (label did not show total watts) and my 75 watt light. With the light on I started up the grinder. It started just fine. I noticed during the startup that the generator engine ran a little faster, then backed off to its normal speed. I reran this test several times with consistent results.

When I can I will run the extension cord into the basement and test the sump pump. It is 1/2 hp so I thought the bench grinder was a comparable test. Hopefully the longer extension cord will not be an issue.

Thanks again!!!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

The Voltage Drop through a too small gauge wire could heat up wiring . Also some Amperage loss could occur which for some power tools could cause damage . As fo the Gen Set sounds like everything is fine .

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Be interested to hear how the sump pump works when started through an extension cord. The shorter and heavier cord the better...

• dave184
    12 years ago

I HAVE IDENTICAL GEN.WITH A GOVERNOR PROBLEM.ENGINE SPEED DOES NOT VARY WHEN LOAD APPLIED OR REMOVED.MY PROBLEM IS THE TEAR DOWN PROCEDURE TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE GOV. ASSY.ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.THANKS IN ADVANCE.

• wayne440
    12 years ago

The engine speed of that set is not intended to vary. It should run close to 3600 rpm regardless of load.