Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mowernut

Fuel preservatives

mowernut
9 years ago

Just had to rebuild the carbueretor on my Honda GX powered pressure washer because of gas going bad in about 3 months. Ran great then however the other day it would run with choke closed but died immediately when moved at all from closed position. I live in Florida and was wondering what the fuel stabilizer/preservative of choice is for any fuel gurus out there. With humidity being so high here moisture is the number 1 killer of gasoline - mainly because of the moisture attracting ethanol in it (I'm guessing). It runs great again and hope to keep it that way. Thanx in advance for your input.

Comments (6)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

I still use the "traditional" Stabil, since the bottle isn't empty yet.
    I think what really helps is to fill the tank to the brim between uses.
    Reduce the "dead air space" to zilch and you have much less air "pumping" in & out with the temperature changes.

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Sounds like you need Sta-Bil Marine for Ethanol Fuels - its the blue stuff that you can get in the 32 oz size (treats 320 gallons). You can also find the 8 oz size. I use it all the time in my outdoor equipment plus my vehicles. Over 110,000 miles in 8 years in 3 vehicles with no fuel system problems of any kind. Plus the OPE always starts and runs fine.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

"Sea Foam Motor Treatment" and unlike Sta-bil doesn't have a 2-year shelf life.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Foam Motor Treatment

• baymee
    9 years ago

Thanks to the Noreaster last night, I had to start up my generator which had treated gas in it for maybe one or two years; can't remember. It started right up. The tank was about 90% empty. I use both Sea Foam and Startron, so I don't remember which one.

• bob_k
    9 years ago

Here is my experience with my Honda Lawn Mower. I have never used any kind of stabilizer. What I do is add a little Mystery Oil. Does it help I don't know. But it doesn't cost that much and hasn't cause any problems. I am not sure how old the mower is but I have had it 8-10 years. My son gave it to me. Never had a problem with old gas. And some of the gas that I use is a couple of years old.

Now the reason for the gas being so old is. The I have a generator that holds about 7 gals. of gas. Well there were those times we thought that we would loose power. So we would fill up our generator to get prepared. But we never lost power. So the gas just sit in the generator. Any way after sitting for so long without being used I decided to syphon it out and use it. And like I said I had no problems with using it.

Now here is how I use my mower. I take it out of the shed. Check the oil level. Turn the gas shut off to on position. Fill the tank with gas. Move lever to the choke position. Pull the start cord slowly till I feel compression. Let it retract and give it one good pull and it starts every time on one pull.

Now when I put the mower away the tank is almost empty. While it is still running I shut the fuel shutoff to the off position. And stop the mower. Then I take the leaf blower and blow all the debris from the mower. After I am done doing that I start it up put in gear and walk it into the shed and let it run until it runs out of gas. So it is stored with an empty tank and an empty carb. And as far as I know it has the original plug in it. I have never changed it. I don't know if my son did when he had it or not.

I have never had to do any thing to the mower. The only thing is I am going to have to put new wheels on it next year. The tread is just about wore off of them.

• baymee
    9 years ago

Keeping the carb dry is the best thing you can do.