Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomplum

Lubes and chemical type things

tomplum
13 years ago

What things do you rely on in doing mower maintenance? Have a favorite wheel/ cable/ penetrating lube, filter oil, carb cleaner or spray that you use above all others -list it here. Myself, I have to confess liking the Walmart carb spray- because the darn straw stays in place....

Comments (8)

• briggsuser
    13 years ago

I always run my Briggs classic 3.5 on 400:1 2 stroke oil (Duckhams 40SAE intended for motorcycles) and winterise with 100:1. Seems to keep things clean and free from corrosion. Chris

• ewalk
    13 years ago

I use Crown Penetrating Products , also WD-40. When it comes to Fuel Treatments Kleen-Flow and Lucas Products . In Oils Amsoil for 2-Stroke and Valvoline and Quaker State for Auto and Rotella-T in my Diesel .

• tomplum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The EHP wpm's have used dry lube for a while for the wheels, I still use lithium. All things weighed, I think the wheels stay rolling better and last longer. I always clean the anti-sieze out of the Toro clutches and use grease. Kleen Flow doesn't sound familiar to me. Seafoam fuel additive I use and tried their aerosal -Deep Creep? I bought a can. Smokes nicely like trans fluid.... Use this when the grabby OHV's need some special cleaning. Used to use ATF and I forget what until the oiler wouldn't oil no more.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Tom: Kleen-Flow out Sell Rislone up North Here . Probably not in your Area of the State lol .

• andyma_gw
    13 years ago

MMO and Chemtool B12 carb cleaner. Zero brand loyalty to anything else. I generally use what ever 10w 30 is on sale and 87 octane gas. For lubes and such, I just bought some Auto Zone 80 w 90 for the Arienses. The stuff that drained out looked like cafe au lait and there was very little of it.

• tomplum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"The stuff that drained out looked like cafe au lait and there was very little of it." Very descriptive, not tasty- but descriptive none the less. If you are having challenges keeping lube in the snowthrower gear boxes, you should be able to pack them w/ #2 lithium and be fine.
    Had that nice "cafe au lait" when I drained one of my air compressors today. Me bad. Might be a good thing to pull the drain and swish something around in it anyways. Whatever that will be.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Tom , have advised numerous Buddies of the Grease within Snow-blower gear cases , when the seals are old and dried out . Sometimes this is better than rebuilding the gear-case including new bearing or bushings and seals ..etc. Especially when there Disposable Older Units.

• andyma_gw
    13 years ago

Tom, these are 2 freebies that I have acquired in the last few years. Out of a parts pool of 5 , I have created a matched set of runners. Last year, I got them going well enough to blow snow. It worked, I didnt have any blow-able snow after New Years. Now that I have a pair of runners, I can start doing PM and renovations to bring them all the way.

This was first time I drained the pumpkin. I have no clue as to leakage.A certain amount is prolly just condensation, the thing doesnt get hot enough to cook off the water, like a car engine or transmission would. Next, I have to find the air boxes and belt guards. Then, I am gonna paint the chutes and install a home made "Clarence" kit to the impeller tips. BTW, I drink black coffee :) Other than a few belts and carb kits, my only investment has been my time. Fun time, a struggle, and a pay off when what I've been tinkering with, runs good.