Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilylchen

Maintenance on a used Snapper Hi-Vac

lilylchen
9 years ago

I have a rental house and am considering replacing the current lawn mower. The tenant is responsible for mowing the lawn, and I want to make it easy for her so that it's done well. There's really nothing wrong with the current one except that a part to the bag has gone missing, and so I started looking at replacement bags, which led me to Craigslist and just buying a used replacement.

The current one is a basic push gas mower, at least 13 years old and has not really had any problems. I think the only maintenance done on it is adding gas, oil and I think one of the tenants replaced the spark plug.

I saw a listing for a Snapper Hi Vac, and the idea of vacuuming up the cut grass sounds like a great idea (one of the things I didn't like about the old one, which is why I'm considering just replacing it, was that the clippings always got caught up in the tube - it's a side discharge). But I'm wondering if this type of lawn mower then has more as far as maintenance. It also has some sort of lever along the diagonal part of the handle, which I'm assuming is a clutch? Also, are these much heavier than plain old basic lawn mowers? The lawn mower has to get up and down a couple of stairs and that's really just done by "walking" it up and down.

Is there more involved with keeping this type of lawn mower running? It's only $75, so I guess I could try it and if it poops out on me after 5 years time, that's really not so bad, right?

Comments (9)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

No, no real difference in maintenance other than watching over the air filter closer as these can be dusty machines if you are in a dry environment. They are sturdy machines and somewhat heavy. They do bag well too. I can't see if this is a drive model or not with the above pic. If it is self propelled, it will have a speed lever on the RH side of the handle and an engagement handle of the top of the main handle.

• lilylchen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomplum - what's that knob on the left side for? My current doesnt have one. Here's another picture of it - looks like there are no other knobs on the handle.

• Greg Goyeneche
    9 years ago

The Snapper in the two pictures is a "push" mower, not a self propelled. It is early 1980's vintage. The wire bail just below the top of the handle is for the "Zone start" control. Zone start is a dead man control which must be squeezed to start the engine and keep it running. Also, if you release the zone start the engine will die. This was a safety feature mandated by the CPSC in the early 1980's to cut down on injuries.

The four thumb nuts on the handles are designed to be loosened so the handles will fold like a "Z" to permit storage. The control on the upper left handle is for the engine throttle. Also note that there should be a fuel shut off below the tank. It is a quarter turn valve below the gas cap. there is also a small label near it. Good practice is to shut the valve, then run the engine until it dies to get all of the gas out of the lines and carburetor when you are through using. This helps reduce the formation of gum in the carburetor.

Lastly the engine is an earlier "Classic" version, not a "Quantum" even though it has a rectangular tank. Decent engine, but only about 3 1/2 hp. The Quantum's are usually rated 4 to 5 1/2hp.

• rustyj14
    9 years ago

A friend has one of those mowers. He likes it, and does contract mowing with it. I recently fixed the starter housing rope, etc. It sounds good when running. I was also donated one like that, so next Spring, I'll get it tuned up, and out front for sale. Rusty Jones

• fritz1255
    9 years ago

I used to have one of those, which I set out for trash when the engine died about 20 years ago. Really wish I had kept it, but this was pre-internet, and I would have had to spend big bucks to get the engine replaced at a repair shop. An easy DIY proposition now. Great mower, but heavy for a push mower, and no guarantees on how long the engine will last. If you are trying to make it easy for your tenant, might want to look into a new self-propelled, but I think you are looking at close to $300. Do they even make bagging push mowers any more?

• lilylchen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. The Snapper one actually got "snapped up" quickly off Craigslist, so I just ended up buying a craftsman that has a rear discharge and doesnt seem too heavy. The lawn is pretty small, so not looking for anything fancy.

• phototone
    9 years ago

If you are getting a mower to leave at a rent house, for the renter to use, keep it as simple as possible. Letting a renter deal with a bagger may not be a good idea.

• juliefredberg
    7 years ago

My snapper has gas and oil but it will not start... any suggestions?

• aluvaboy
    7 years ago

Did you check the spark plug to see if it is firing up?