Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommyleea

Briggs 26hp oil leak

tommyleea
9 years ago

I am replacing the sump gasket on my briggs 26hp 44P777. When I removed the sump there was a small drive shaft that fell out of the sump cover. It appears to go up into the oil pump, and mates with the cam gear. My question is, how do you index this properly, and hold it in place when you put the cover back on. I am not sure if I leave it in the sump cover, or try and put it on the cam gear. It just goes into a slot on the cam gear, so I am not sure how I would hold it in place. Thanks

Comments (10)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Service manual at the link.
    See Sect 13

Here is a link that might be useful: Service manual link

• walt2002
    9 years ago

IF you do not have a Service Manual, I can send you one IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• tommyleea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, and maybe I am missing something, but it just says to install the sump. I see the slot where this part goes, but they don't mention the part that I am referring to.

• tommyleea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK..I am in the shop now. It looks like the shaft will go deep into the well in the sump. Odd thing is I looked down the well, and the slot for the shaft was off to one side, so the shaft wouldn't engage with anything. I took a probe, and inserted into the slot that was off centered, and then pushed the probe to the side, and the slot opened up. Now the shaft goes completely into the well. I think if I put some grease on it, the shaft will remain in place. Then as I put the sump back on I can rotate the motor until the slot in the cam lines up with the driveshaft. What do you think?

• tomplum
    9 years ago

If you are referring to the oil pump shaft, you simply slide the shaft back in with the rest of the pump once the sump is bolted in place and put the pump cover w/ ring on. Leave the engine on its back and no problem. If you are talking about the small shaft the governor spins on- big problem.

• tommyleea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This shaft mates with the cam gear on the inside of the engine. It then goes up into a recess that appears to go to the oil pump from the inside. The oil pump is still installed. The governor appears to be intact.

• walt2002
    9 years ago

The Service Manual does spell out in detail how to install the oil pump drive shaft.

Walt Conner

• tommyleea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Walt..I see when I look up the oil pump they show two drive shafts. So, I guess I need to wait for more info before I put everything back together. I am not sure what the drive shaft that I am working with engages with up in the oil pump cavity. The pump comes with the two gears, like a gearotor set up. The small gear has a slot for one drive shaft. I just can't picture what the cam gear driven drive shaft engages with up in the cavity.

This post was edited by tommyleea on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 14:17

• tommyleea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK..Now I see said the blind man. There must be more than one application for the oil pump I was looking at, so they offered two oil pump drive shafts. I took the oil pump cover off today, and now I understand the shaft orientation and the engagement to the oil pump. Thanks to all for the help and advice. I sent you an email Walt.

• tommyleea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everything is back together. Runs like a top. Received new bolts with the gasket, and the torque is 300 inch instead of 200. These bolts had thread lock on them instead of lock washers, so maybe that is why the difference in torque. All is well. Thanks.