Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrison8

lawn boy 6461

garrison8
14 years ago

I bought a nice model 6461 (orange gas tank) at an estate sale last weekend. Never used commercially and I purchased it from the original owner for $40. Two questions:

1) Does anyone know how I can purchase a copy of the owner's manual or is a member willing to copy there manual for me. Happily reimburse your cost.

2) I'm confused by the mixture instruction label. It says 1 can of LB special lubricant to 2 gallons of gas OR 8 oz. of regular 2 cycle oil with 1 gallon. The LB 2 cycle oil from my hardware store comes in an 8 oz can. So is this LB oil that much more concentrated such that it can cover 2 gallons of gas while 8 oz of the regular 2 cycle oil only covers 1 gallon? Or does "special lubricant" refer to something else? Sorry for the length, difficult to explain. Thanks, Gary

Comments (16)

• boilers1
    14 years ago

Enter your model number under parts tab. Gives you just about all you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: lawnboy web site

• bogman
    14 years ago

Lawn Boy's reasoning for this instruction was to insure that, if a non LB oil product was used that sufficient oil was in the mix which is 16 to 1. Using the LB 8 ounce can results in a 32 to 1 mix.
    Today, there many different 2 cycle oils (opti 2, Amsoil to name two) available, so that instruction is old news.If you were going to use straight 30 weight, which is what LB used to reccomend back in the early days, 16 to 1 ratio is what had to be used. Moderm oils can be used at 50 to 1 and higher. Lawn Boy in the 8 ounce can is still 32 to 1 though.

• orangedotfever
    14 years ago

I'm rather confused by your question. Your 6461 is an F series engine. All F series engines are 32:1 mix ratio regardless of brand of oil. Lawnboy has always said to use Lawnboy oil or a good quality TC-W3 rated oil at 32:1 in the F series engine.

• brad
    14 years ago

Greetings, ODF.

I gave my son a Lawnboy (with the F engine) that had that label, 32:1 with LB oil and 16:1 if using any other kind of 2 cycle oil. 2 things come to mind:

1: Most homeowners would rather only use 1/2 as much oil, so they are going to only buy LB oil based on that label.

2: It is going to smoke so much using 16:1 that the owner will purchase LB oil the second time around.

Both assumptions lead the owner back to using Lawnboy oil, which is the only reason I can see for putting that label on in the first place.

• orangedotfever
    14 years ago

LOL Brad, might be a good sales tactic for them. What year Lawnboy was this you're talking about?

• brad
    14 years ago

Had to be an 88-90ish. L19ZPN or something like that.

• orangedotfever
    14 years ago

That's strange. I have a L21ZPNC from 1991 and neither it, nor it's manual, says anything about any other mixture besides 32:1.

• c64c64
    10 years ago

I picked up a Lawn Boy 6461 2 years ago becase it was only $4 and looked to be older then a dinosaur.

I was thinking about selling it because I have 2 other working lawn mowers.
    That and I am partial to Toro, Simplicity, and Troy-built. Since I grew up in Port Washington WI.

• c64c64
    10 years ago

How crazy are Lawn Boy collectors? Are they like me when it comes to Commodore computers, willing to pay any amout of money for a 35 year old computer.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by c64c64 on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 1:53

• SpringfieldArmory
    10 years ago

How crazy are Lawn Boy collectors? Are they like me when it comes to Commodore computers, willing to pay any amout of money for a 35 year old computer.

I don't know about crazy. Now that they aren't making them any more, you gotta keep the old beasts running, and cared for.

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

Tell you what, you take one of those 2-cycle commercials like pictured above, and that's a grass-cutting SOB. There is no modern mower with equivalent features. The greatest ones were the later ones with 6.5HP Duraforce engine.
    >Extremely light
    >Tangential discharge with the offset front wheel
    >Anti-scalp (offset wheel)
    >Steel, ball-bearing wheels with replaceable tires
    >Power stroke every blade revolution
    >Anti-rust and rigid aluminum deck
    >Heavy-duty engine with iron cylinder sleeve, large dia. crankshaft, large fuel tank, brush guards
    >'Tri-Cut' blade with mulch fan

• evdpgh
    10 years ago

''Tell you what, you take one of those 2-cycle commercials like pictured above, and that's a grass-cutting SOB. There is no modern mower with equivalent features. The greatest ones were the later ones with 6.5HP Duraforce engine."...Then why did you get rid of your's in favor or 4-strokes?

• Earl Elias
    7 years ago

Did "garrison8" ever find a copy of the 6461 owner's manual? I could use one too. Also, what ""parts tab" is "boiler1 talking about?

• ssewalk1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There are a few on Ebay $17.50. Parts tab is on the lawnboy site previously .

• 1saxman
    7 years ago

''Tell you what, you take one of those 2-cycle commercials like pictured above, and that's a grass-cutting SOB. There is no modern mower with equivalent features. The greatest ones were the later ones with 6.5HP Duraforce engine."...Then why did you get rid of your's in favor or 4-strokes?

I never had a commercial 2-cycle LB. I had a 10201, a 10323 and a 10550. Everything I said about LBs is true. What I didn't say in this thread is I got tired of the LB quirkiness and things like having to wash the air filter with solvent and re-oil and just general crazy engineering throughout. The 10201 was junk from the start although I was able to keep it going and sold it as a working mower. The 10323 with Variable Speed was probably one I would like to have back. The 10550 with Personal Pace ('Easy-Stride') got to be a terrible irritant to me because it was impossible to use in certain 'push-pull' cutting situations. I think I have forgotten some of the details of why I got away from them. I still would like to have one but it would have to be an 'F' engine, aluminum deck with under-deck muffler. Just for fun to use once or twice a year, like driving an old tractor or something. Just to get that Lawn-Boy oil/toasted grass smell. :)

• Earl Elias
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. Pulled the blade off this used 1987 Lawn-Boy Model 6461, with ambitions of sharpening and re-balancing it. (Done). Want to pull the supporting "plate and collar asm," and the triangular support piece off, so I can eventually pop the muffler apart, de-coke it, and clean out the 3 exhaust ports. (I used to do it all the time on the 2 Lawn-boys that I owned previously. I used standard motor oil back then. Most people did. Modern two-stroke oil nowadays is much better, and the de-coking shouldn't be necessary that often. But I wanted to start this machine out with a clean slate, so-to-speak.). It was always a little difficult, but this one doesn't want to release the plate-and-collar-asm from the tapered end of the crankshaft. Have used a puller, Liquid Wrench, tapping with small hammer, and small propane touch for heat. Still refusing to pop off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.