Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tecumseh LEV195EA coil test

Posted by eagleman35 5b MO (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 07 at 14:26

Toro 20017 Model year 2005
Plug getting no spark...comes out wet after a few pulls. New RJ19LM the same. Tested kill sw, works
ok. All else on mower looks normal. Removed coil and seems to look ok. Called shop and they said they would need the mower. Should I spring for a new coil or what? Looks like a 25-35 $ part!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tecumseh LEV195EA coil test

Remove the kill wire from coil terminal and test for spark but don't try to start since if it does the kill control will be disabled. This will eliminate the kill wire and switch in case one is shorting. If you still get no spark, buy the new coil.

o

Will check for spark with the kill wire removed in a day or two. If I see spark could I try a start ?
To kill the engine I would just pull the plug boot.
Would this work? Would it be ok to install a switch on the kill wire? Could also take up slack on the brake cable bymoving the dead man bar down a bit.
Or spring a few bucks for a whole new brake cable.

Haven't had the flywheel off....last thing I will do.

Thanks to nevada_walrus

o

Flywheel removal is not needed for a no spark condition. A sheared flywheel key would affect timing but not stop spark on electronic ignitions.

I was assuming the cable function is OK sense you said the switch worked. If cable is not dis-engaing switch due to stretching the cable should be replaced. Other mods may work but it's not the right way to do it.

Pulling the plug wire off will work but it can provide a shocking experience. I so much hate it when that happens that I simply find another way. Some folks seem to enjoy it though so knock yourself out ;-)

o

Nevada....Thanks for the warning about pulling plug cap with the mower running. IF engine starts will put on my old insulated electrician gloves use insulated tool and more sure I don't have a path to earth ground. Just wqant to know if the Toro will fire up again than, will fix the dead man bar proper like.
Go for a new cable probably.

o

I prefer to pull the boot back so the terminal is exposed and use a screw driver to short across to the head. But that's just me.

o

See my new post for today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here