Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wekjo

Kohler Knowledge

wekjo
9 years ago

I am replacing my 2nd B&S 23HP engine on a Simplicity Conquest with a Kohler 7000 series 23HP made to fit an MTD.
The B&S engines lose the right side connecting rod at about 300 hours and I am not buying another. Read nothing good about the Kohler Courage series and not wanting to spend $2000 on a Kaw, I bought a new 7000 series Kohler which is cheaper than a Command series engine.

My question relates to how a muffler will bolt on, given the change from B&S to Kohler engine. There is a Simplicity muffler made to fit a Conquest/Courage 23HP. I am kind of assuming that all Kohler engines have the same block/bolt patterns and that this muffler should fit my 7000 series. Am I nuts?

Comments (4)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

I guess you will be our test subject. Does your existing muffler have the exhaust pipes welded to the muffler or the more universal low tone that the pipes simply slip into? My guess would be that the pipes would fit that would fit a Command, but you won't know until you try. There are engine spec drawings and in past years Kohler had pipes in their accessory catalog, but to my knowledge hasn't been updated. Kohler CAC may help if the people you bought the engine from can't. The 7000 is supposedly a nice engine. They sang the praises during this years service school. it is billed as having improvements over the Command , I guess solid lifters are an improvement. Courage Twins I've not got a complaint with BTW, singles more so had their issues.

• wekjo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found some Kohler line drawings, side views of the 23HP Courage, now discontinued, and the 23HP 7000. The height above the plane of the bottom of the crankcase for the exhaust ports is identical. That is but one crucial measurement.

The mufflers are made by the mower company, not the engine company. It is one piece, bolts to frame on each end, with two pipes extending back and up to attach to the engine. It costs $115, I am going to go ahead and buy it and hope for the best.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

It would make sense that the exhaust manifold specs would be the same from Kohler. In the fixed mufflers like you have, I've seen a delineation between engine manufacturers - but you don't see fits Command VS Courage etc. From a repair standpoint, you just don't cross that bridge often enough to be sure. Please keep us updated on the swap process and what you think of your new engine.

• antibriggs
    9 years ago

Wekjo, it sounds like you were in the same boat I am right now. I have a 2005 Massey Ferguson(same as Simplicity) 2722H, has the 22 hp Vanguard in which blew up around 300 hrs, I rebuilt it back in 2008 and it locked up last fall. Enough with the Vanguard. I'm looking at dropping the Kohler 7000 series in as well. Wondering if all you needed was the Kohler model muffler? Did the harness plug right in? I'm looking at the KT730-3012. Wondering if you ran into any other problems other than the muffler. Thanks in advance.