Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn mower question for women only

Posted by tejas_ruthie 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 2, 06 at 15:47

Ladies

I spent 20 min two days ago trying to start an old lawnmower and almost ripped out my right shoulder doing it. Still suffering from it.

I need to know if any of you have found a push mower that is EASY, SUPER EASY to start. I love to mow the yard as it is my #1 exercise and I don't want to give it up. Besides it is one less thing my hubby has to do, if I can do it for him.

I know, a lot of the mowers SAY they are easy to start but I am a natural born skeptic and would rather hear it that it is easy to start from people like me.... not a salesperson.

Also I checked http://www.epinions.com but alas, "easy for a woman to start" is not a category to filter by there :-)

Thank you in advance for any and all advice on my next mower! Y'all have a great day!
Ruthie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn mower question for women only

I'm not a female but I found a mower that was easy to start. My wife has the same problem starting mowers sometimes. The mower engine that is the easiest starting I have ever come across is the Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp Intek Pro. As a test I let my 8 year old son and my wife try to start it and they both were able to do so. I can grab the starter rope and start it with just a flick of my wrist and lower arm. Not the massive yank that many other engines need sometimes. Shop for mowers with the Briggs and Stratton Intek Pro. Another alternative is to get an electric start model. Perhaps the Honda equipped Lawn-Boy in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric start Lawn-Boy.

o

rdaystrom

thank you for posting. My posting title was a little too sexist probably (ha).... I am so grateful you posted. I appreciate the input and will look into the B&S and electric start. After almost 30 yrs of typing on keyboards my fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders cannot take the "yank" of the old fashioned mower anymore....

thanks again
Ruthie

o

The Briggs and Stratton "Touch-N-Mow" system uses a mechanical starter to start your engine. It is a pretty ingenious design.

Here's a webpage which explains the system:
Briggs and Stratton TNM

It is a nice system because it requires no battery to maintain and keep charged. When you let off the bail bar (kill handle), the engine inertia cranks the mechanical starter and thus winding up a spring. When you want to restart the engine, simply check that the Touch-N-Mow system is enabled, prime the engine, and close the bail bar. Voila! Engine started!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here