Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Mower carburetor/gas leak problem

Posted by neeboy74 MO (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 16:44

Hello to all:

I found this forum while searching for an answer to my lawn mower conundrum:

My landlandy's Craftsman lawnmower appears to be leaking gas out the carburetor; I assume this because gas is leaking out the primer bulb, and the air filter gets soaked with gas when I try to fill it up. The mower will not start, period.

I have searched on the Web and found much discussion about this kind of (seemingly common) problem at this forum. Here are the vital stats on my mower:

Craftsman model: 917.378361
Briggs & Stratton engine model: 123K00 series

The answers I have read on this forum involve replacing/removing and cleaning the carburetor. This model mower DOES have the brass nut on the bottom of the carb. Can I replace just the bottom of the carb as I have read in the posts about the Techumseh engine, or do I need to replace the ENTIRE Briggs/Strat carb? Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Mower carburetor/gas leak problem

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 20:51

I would replace the primer bulb first if it's torn or leaking anywhere except the center hole of the bulb. I don't know if yours has a vented bulb or not. If that doesn't fix it, then remove the float bowl by removing the bowl nut and see if the float stops gas flow with light finger pressure. It might also be a leaking needle seat.

o

Most likely there is a spec of crud lodged in the carb needle/seat. Remove the float & needle, let the fuel line flush things out a bit and reinstall.

Also check the oil for the presence of fuel and change it if it has gas in it.

o

Bill has it right. Fuel should never get to the primer on a 12 cid Briggs. The primer pushes air. The inlet needle is not sealing. Whether this is just a small spec that will flush easily or varnish requiring rebuilding will only be known by taking the carb apart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here