Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
centavo25

Snapper Self Propel Lever Problem

centavo25
12 years ago

I've tried everything and I'm about in tears over my 5 month old Snapper 22" Self Propelled Walk Behind. The Lever that operates the Wheel Drive system is not operating properly. There is no resistance at all when I pull it back. I've looked through youtube videos, and google searched every lead but nothing about this issue. I bought this mower because it was a 'Snapper' but so far am not happy. All of the plastic wheel covers have fallen off and the bagger attachment has fallen apart. I have only used the mower once a week for a few months.....I need someone to please advise on what I might be able to do to fix this. I'm very self sufficient and it's upsetting that this seeming simple problem is eluding me..... :(

Comments (6)

• mowernut
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, there's a cheap grade of Snappers, and the better hi-vac or ninja versions. You can tell the difference by the self propel system, and the better ones are 21 inch. The better ones are also sold at lawn & garden or lawn mower specialty stores. They won't be found at Sears, or any discount stores. I have no experience with your Snapper type, but would suggest taking it back to where you purchased it, or contacting Snapper at snapper.com Don't try fixing it yourself, and possibly make it worse... at 5 months old, it should certainly still be under warranty. If you can get a refund, invest the money on their better mowers - you will be very happy. They cost more, but will be worth it. I know! Good luck.

• baymee
    12 years ago

Are you talking about the lever on the right side that your thumb presses on or on the left side that controls the various speed selections 1 thru 6 ??

• centavo25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's the lever that you pull up with your right hand is is located on the push bar. There are not any speed selections. It engages the drive system. Also I did not know that a Snapper was not a Snapper if sold at Sears. This is very distressing. If you go to this link you can see the picture. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07137227000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

• roadbike
    12 years ago

If it is a 5 month old mower why don't you have it fixed under warranty?

This is after the fact, but buying a lawn mower (or any oher product) simply because it has a recognized name is a poor way to make a choice. Next time you should look into the features and realize that price is usually very good guide for the value that you are getting. A good quality durable mower is going to cost at least $500.00 these days.

• centavo25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well it's like this. I am very handy and if this is a minor problem that an adjustment can fix then why would I want to spend two days taking and then picking it up if it is a simple problem.
    I thought this forum was to seek ideas and support not to be berated for trying to figure out something on my own. I thought that 350.00 was a fair price for a quality produce like Snapper....
    Maybe if my husband didn't pass away unexpectedly 6 months ago I would have known that I needed to spend 500.00 for a 'quality' one.
    I would prefer responses only that are helpful not critical.

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

It's not my intention to piss you off, but perhaps others can learn something constructive from your experience.

Unfortunately, when Briggs & Stratton acquired Murray, Snapper, and Simplicity, they use this as a marketing opportunity to trade on the Snapper name with some of the old Murray designs. Your mower, as well as most of the walk-behind mowers on the Sears website are rebadged Murrays. Not necessarily junk, but not up to the standards of the "old" Snapper, which is now sold only thru authorized dealers or the the commercial space.

That said, I'd take advantage of the warranty first. In the case of the drive cable, it might have come loose from the attachment on the deck, or the drive belt is broken or off the pulley. In any case, if you keep fooling with it and let your warranty run out Sears will tell you they can't help. Since you sound like you've lost confidence in the mower, I'd try to get Sears to offer your money back, and then move on to something else.

Good luck.