Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beggar_gw

Snapper 3 n 1 mower

beggar
13 years ago

Hi,

I would like a good combination walk behind mower. One that could cut and collect very well and switch to good mulching when I felt it was warranted.

I'm looking at model erds 19700 19 inch. I imagine that we in England have different models numbers from the US so here are the specs:

Twin rear wheel variable drive; B & S DOV 700 engine; 70 litre grass bag: adjustable handle height: steel chassis.

If this model can be identified by an experienced Snapper user I'd love to know if it performs well and is likely to be durable. This is most important as I'd have to buy the machine online - there's no dealer anywhere near me.

I think what I'm concerned about most is the question of compromise. Does this model cut and collect as well as a non mulching snapper mower,and vice versa? Or would I be better off using two separate dedicated macbine?

I'm running out of space in the shed and fitting in two mowers would be difficult. I'd appreciate some advice here, please.

Comments (6)

• rosemallow
    13 years ago

If I lived in England I would not hesitate to get a Honda HRX537HZ.Also you have the striping Hondas , which are not available in the USA.

• beggar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you rosemallow for your advice. Unfortunately here, probably because of the sticky grass we have for most of the year, Hondas aren't known to be good baggers.

The HRX range is also very expensive whereas the Snapper model I referred to seems something of a bargain - if it works very well in both modes. This is what I'm trying to ascertain.

The trouble is I can't find a single user review on this side of the pond. Hence my post to GardenWeb.

• rosemallow
    13 years ago

The HRX in the USA is an excellent bagger. Some complaints are it actually can get top heavy from a super full bag. What does that tell you.
    Just what type of grass is grown in the UK. In my area we have tall fescue.
    Hondas are expensive here also, but it is worth it.

• beggar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know much about species and varieties of grass. I do know, for instance, that the original Izy range of Honda mowers were lousy at bagging when conditions were at all damp. (Remember that it's often wet here and grass has to be cut regardless).

The engineers at Honda brought out a new Izy range which, they claimed, had a redesigned chassis to overcome the problems but I haven't read any results yet.

There's a good forum here for landscape contractors and wet grass cutting is often discussed. The best mowers for that is a French firm called Etesia which will pick up well in all conditions. However, they don't do a roller striping model which is much lamented by the professionals. There are others as well.

So there are certainly excellent baggers here and good mulching mowers. What I'm after is a combination of the two and that is proving difficult in the face of no feedback from users.

• rosemallow
    13 years ago

Well, as for damp conditions all mowers have problems bagging and mulching when wet or damp.
    The IZY has a redesigned high lift blade for bagging. The problem with wet or damp grass cuts the air flow in the bag. This makes it harder to fill it with grass. A bag with larger holes (material) would help, but then there is a danger of objects hitting the operator.
    Anyway, I do not see a Snapper resolving your problem. I know nothing of the Etesia. Also stripping kits can be purchased for any mower.
    Good Luck!

• beggar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just in case anyone is still reading this, I came across some useful information yesterday. A mower primarily designed for bagging cuts the grass once only. If then used for mulching, using a supplied mulching plug, presumably, it still cuts the grass once.

The whole idea of mulching is cut the grass more than once to reduce the clipping size. Therefore the combination mowers, as they are called here, are less efficient at mulching than at bagging.

Should have realised this myself.