Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Tecumseh carb and stumped

baymee
14 years ago

I'm having a problem with a 5HP Snow King Tecumseh carb that I've never run into before.

I've experimented with changing the float, the seat, the needle, multiple changes, and when I open the fuel valve, the gas comes up and drips out the throttle plate. I know for a fact that the needle is seated and the float is adjusted.

Can it be pushing through the main jet and up through the tube into the carb body?

Tecumseh carb 632107A

Comments (23)

• fzbcheve
    14 years ago

Check that the float bowel is vented. There should be a small hole on the left side of the carb body, near the idel screw.

• rosemallow
    14 years ago

If you installed a new rubber base for the needle it may be upside down. The grove goes down.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

"The grove goes down." Actually the groove in the seat faces up. The needle seats against the other side. Probably a matter of perspective. I had heard earlier this fall from a dealer who got shipped aftermarket needle and seat kits (instead of OEM)- that the needles themselves were deformed and none of them sealed. SO, if you haven't used OEM Tec, pick up a set and try again.

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The seat groove faces upward and the needle inserts into the smooth side. Tried aftermarket and OEM, no luck.

I've been doing this for a long time, which is why I really am stumped.

If the carb is off, upside down, and the weight of the float is pressing the needle into the seat, I cannot blow light air pressure through the fuel inlet, so I know it's sealed.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

"Can it be pushing through the main jet and up through the tube into the carb body?" Looking at your original statement, I would have to say that if it isn't a needle problem I don't know that it is repairable. If you think about it, fuel is only going to rise in the tube only as high as the fuel is in the bowl. If it is continuing to fill the bowl and beyond, I can't think what else it would be.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Might be two little gremlins in there, with a hand crank pump, turning it for all they are worth, and filling everything up with fuel, so it runs out onto the floor, or where-ever! ;0)

• itzbinnice
    14 years ago

@baymee,
    I have the exact same carb as you do and the same symptoms.
    I posted here:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg110850154482.html?4

I ended up buying a new carb, everything functions well now, but still curious of what the cause could be.
    Mine too sealed when blowing though the fuel inlet with the carb upside down.

Took fzbcheve's advise
    "Check that the float bowel is vented. There should be a small hole on the left side of the carb body, near the idel screw."
    I put a breadwire through mine and there was no obstruction, slid in easily.So that doesn't seem to be the cause, but a good tip nevertheless.

I hope you get it resolved and not have to buy a new carb like I did. Sometimes the money is just not worth enduring so much aggravation.

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What's even stranger is that the owner said it wouldn't start at all and it was brought in with a half full tank and no shut off valve.

The first thing I checked was the jet and the bowl. As soon as I put it back together it started doing this.

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This carb uses the primer bulb line for a bowl vent. I don't see any other holes.

• itzbinnice
    14 years ago

baymee
    "This carb uses the primer bulb line for a bowl vent. I don't see any other holes."

I'm at work now, I'll take a pic and post it tonight to show you where I found my hole. I believe that is the one fzbcheve was referring to.

• itzbinnice
    14 years ago

baymee,
    Here's the pic of my carb.
    At the end of the red bread wire is where I found the carb vent. Curious if you have one there.
    I doubt that is the problem since mine was not clogged.

{{gwi:144463}}

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please pass a napkin so I can wipe this egg off my face.

I installed a third needle and seat, genuine Tecumseh parts, and it stopped leaking.

I'll take 3 aspirin and check it in the morning.

Then I'll take a look at that hole.

Thanks all.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Don't beat yourself up. These can be buggers. Sometimes a light lube helps the slide in nice and square. DO you use the regular TEC tool?

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Although the carb doesn't leak anymore, it won't idle at all. It was taken apart and soaked, then I ran carb cleaner through all the idle ports. No luck.

When attempting to go to low speed, it surges and stops dead almost immediately.

Does anybody have a picture of the governor spring location of a 5HP Craftsman snowblower. The spring is in the third slot down from the top. I can't find any pics in the manual. The governor arm and shaft were OK.

I'm about ready to pack it in and get a new carb.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Can't help you on the pic, but does controlling the throttle shaft manually give you the same result?

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, holding the throttle shaft against the idle screw does the exact thing at low speed. Runs good at full throttle, which is all the user really needs.

• fzbcheve
    14 years ago

On Tecumseh carbs, with the idel adjust screw, there is a passage in the tube that the bowel nut fits into. Its just opposit of the small plug on the side of the tube. Make a wire tool of about .010" to .015", with a right angle bend, and insert it into the tube and clean out this passage. Then blow carb cleaner into the idel screw port, and it should come out this passage in the tube.This circuit is where the engine runs most of the time. If you can't adjust the idel screw, this means this passage is plugged. When you adjust this carb, turn the bowel nut screw in, untill the engine just starts to smooth out. You want to hear it burp once in a while. Winter use engines want to be on the rich side. In cold weather they will start better, and have more power.

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I actually found out why it wouldn't idle. After giving advice and helping others, it seems I am not following my own advice. Egg on my face has fallen onto the keyboard and I'd just as soon delete this whole post. :(

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It was my second slip-up this week. I spent more than a few hours trying to figure out why our new coal-fired boiler wasn't burning correctly. Turns out the fan motor was turning in the wrong direction. Everything worked, but the air wasn't the velocity it should be. Works great now.

Can't even trust manufacturers these days. :)

• itzbinnice
    14 years ago

Don't be so hard on yourself, mistakes are inevitable, we all make them.

Would be interesting to know how you solved the idle problem.

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I know better, but I soaked the jet in commercial cleaner, blew out both holes, but never put a wire through the small hole because I felt air coming out of it with my finger. Turns out, there was dirt lodged in it.

• itzbinnice
    14 years ago

Well at least it was a cheap fix and you got it done.
    Thanks for letting us know.

• gary.malcontent
    14 years ago

If you haven't started drinking yet,nows a good time to start.I find after afew Budweisers and a break to relax that i can usally go back with a new mind set and fix whatever i've missed or screwed up.Wait till youre done fixing whatever youre working on before toke'n on that bowl of weed tho.
    I find that 2 + 2 carb cleaner works great.A friend of mine recomends Wally World carb cleaner.Says its also cheaper than 2 + 2 carb cleaner.I also use the thin metal wire repair tags have to attach em to whatever for cleaning out ports etc..Doses your friend have a guitar?Ask him/her the next time he/she changes his/her guitar strings to save you the E string or the 6th string (the thinnest string) not to be confused with the #1 string which is also the E string but much thicker.Hey works great for cleaning those ports,needle holes.Hope i've been of some help.Peace,Gary