Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler CV15S

Posted by mikeymarch Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 22:38

I have a 15.5 hp kohler with new starter, solenoid & battery. Sometimes it tries to start & acts like it has too much compression. the oil level is correct & when it doesn't start i do a rebound on the starter then it starts sometimes.... can any one give me a clue WTF is happening !!! ???? Mikey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler CV15S

"Sometimes it tries to start & acts like it has too much compression"
What does it do the "other" times?

Is this a gravity feed carb that might be leaking and filling the cylinder with gasoline? Smell the oil in the crankcase and see if it has a gas smell.

Have you had the battery load tested?

Have you cleaned all connections in the crank circuit, including grounds? This includes engine mounting bolts.

What tractor is this on?
/'

o

All connections have been cleaned & conductive grease used. The Kohler is on a craftsman lawn tractor (circa 1995). The battery is brand new (3 days old). The starter is 2 days old. I have a fuel shutoff valve & I have let the engine run out of gas but still same problem. Thanks for your response...Mikey

o

Has the battery been charged? Load tested?
Batteries are bad in 2 scenarios. When they are new and when they aren't.
Seriously, until the battery is load tested and proven to be good, you might simply be chasing your tail.

Next is to grab the voltmeter and check for voltage drop over the various connections while cranking.

What's the Sears 917.xxxxxx number?

o

I've done all what you are suggesting. The model # is: 944-605550 sears command model. I'm actually an electrical engineer by trade. I appreciate your assistance !!!!!

o

Well, you still haven't said how it performs the "other times".

Do you have a "summer weight" oil in it? That can reduce cranking speed in cold weather.

I know- You've done all I suggested, but it's a secret.

o

Sometimes it spins & starts just fine - but then probably on the compression stroke it comes to a halt!!! Yes I have 10w30 but in a heated garage at 70 degrees. I'm beginning to think the new battery doesn't have enough cranking amps but I did buy the best - 325 amps wow I am confused LOL - u r a patient person I must say !!!!

o

"I've done all what you are suggesting"

So what were the results of the load test?
What connection did you find the highest voltage drop?

o

Problem solved. Found a dead cell in the "BRAND NEW" battery. Replaced it with another & it works great... Thanks again for all your help - you are the best !!!!!

Mikey

o

Good job Bill! Mikey likes it! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here