Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeymarch

Kohler CV15S

mikeymarch
10 years ago

I have a 15.5 hp kohler with new starter, solenoid & battery. Sometimes it tries to start & acts like it has too much compression. the oil level is correct & when it doesn't start i do a rebound on the starter then it starts sometimes.... can any one give me a clue WTF is happening !!! ???? Mikey

Comments (9)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

"Sometimes it tries to start & acts like it has too much compression"
    What does it do the "other" times?

Is this a gravity feed carb that might be leaking and filling the cylinder with gasoline? Smell the oil in the crankcase and see if it has a gas smell.

Have you had the battery load tested?

Have you cleaned all connections in the crank circuit, including grounds? This includes engine mounting bolts.

What tractor is this on?
    /'

• mikeymarch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All connections have been cleaned & conductive grease used. The Kohler is on a craftsman lawn tractor (circa 1995). The battery is brand new (3 days old). The starter is 2 days old. I have a fuel shutoff valve & I have let the engine run out of gas but still same problem. Thanks for your response...Mikey

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Has the battery been charged? Load tested?
    Batteries are bad in 2 scenarios. When they are new and when they aren't.
    Seriously, until the battery is load tested and proven to be good, you might simply be chasing your tail.

Next is to grab the voltmeter and check for voltage drop over the various connections while cranking.

What's the Sears 917.xxxxxx number?

• mikeymarch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've done all what you are suggesting. The model # is: 944-605550 sears command model. I'm actually an electrical engineer by trade. I appreciate your assistance !!!!!

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Well, you still haven't said how it performs the "other times".

Do you have a "summer weight" oil in it? That can reduce cranking speed in cold weather.

I know- You've done all I suggested, but it's a secret.

• mikeymarch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sometimes it spins & starts just fine - but then probably on the compression stroke it comes to a halt!!! Yes I have 10w30 but in a heated garage at 70 degrees. I'm beginning to think the new battery doesn't have enough cranking amps but I did buy the best - 325 amps wow I am confused LOL - u r a patient person I must say !!!!

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

"I've done all what you are suggesting"

So what were the results of the load test?
    What connection did you find the highest voltage drop?

• mikeymarch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Problem solved. Found a dead cell in the "BRAND NEW" battery. Replaced it with another & it works great... Thanks again for all your help - you are the best !!!!!

Mikey

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Good job Bill! Mikey likes it! :)