Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baldo6878

airens 1534 mini zoom no crank

baldo6878
9 years ago

I've got a 15hp Briggs motor that I attempted to jump start due to a low battery. I ended up getting smoke out of the solenoid and melted it. Installed a new solenoid and get nothing. Checked the 2 30 amp fuses, they were good but replaced anyway. Tried a new ignition switch and still nothing. It seems as tho the battery is dead (which it isn't now) what should I do next? There are 2 relays near the ignition switch, are they bad do you think? Thanks

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

For starters, has there been a history of a hard cranking condition? IE, you turn the key and it struggles to crank? Are you currently able to turn the engine over via the flywheel screen with your hand? Do you feel that you could safely jump (it will spark plus you won't want to get tangled up in anything or mushed) the two large terminals of the solenoid and does it crank that way?

• baldo6878
    Original Author
    9 years ago

can i jump the starter directly avoiding the solenoid? is that what you are stating? I can turn the motor over so it isn't froze. The battery has been low all season but it always started. i have been holding out to put a new battery in it till spring. it has a 4 terminal solenoid so how do i jump it? i have tried various ways with no success. i put a test light on the starter side of the solenoid and turn the key and get no test light to light up. there is power to the battery side of the solenoid. thanks

• tomplum
    9 years ago

"The battery has been low all season but it always started." How do we know this? By the way things sounded, load test on the battery? Maybe there is a parasitic draw present which is draining your battery. Or a charging problem. Because you actually smoked a solenoid, there is a concern over too much load on/ from the starter. Jumping across the 2 large terminals on the solenoid will tell you :the engine is crankable, primary grounds and supply cables are good, the battery is strong enough and the starter is good. Should your jumping test fail, you will need to start there before addressing the rest of the crank circuit. Many auto parts store will do a complimentary load test on the battery. On a 4 post solenoid one of the two small terminals is excited when turning the key and the other a ground is present when the safeties are on line. Take out your multi-tester and see what you got. You could have a damaged presents relay which you should be able to match at any auto parts store if you wanted to try. Be advised that will fit ignition switches must be matched carefully as well.

• Andy Chvala
    9 years ago

so i just got back on the lawnmower project. I jumped the solenoid and it cranks and starts. it only runs for like 20 seconds and then shuts itself off! any ideas as to how to correct this or diagnose it further? thanks

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Has the battery been replaced yet? You do need to be running 12 volts to the little solenoid below the carburetor in order to maintain gas flow. By jumping- are you jumping between the 2 large terminals? What are you missing at the small ones- power or ground?