Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you dispose oil/gas mix?

Posted by dontknow z6 - Upstate NY (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 9:30

Hi,

I have about 1/2 gallon left over and want to properly dispose of this.

What do you recommend as the proper method of disposal?

Some people tell me to dump it on an out of the way place and let the snow we'll get dilute it - I am not remotely in favor of this approach.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you dispose oil/gas mix?

If you are talking standard 2 cycle mix for your lawn equipment, just pour it in your automobile's gas tank. It will never know the difference and the oil will actually help lubricate things that the ethanol in your gas has washed off.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 11:43

I agree with the comment above. Just make sure that there is enough auto gas in the car's tank to dilute the "oil/gas mix."
Ten gallons should do it.

o

If you worry, dump half and fill up immediately, then when the tank is empty, do it again.

I always dump the mix in my car after one month and half old. I never dump 1/2 gallon at a time, but a quart, yes.

o

I run it in my 4 cycle mower to finish off the tank a few times a year - no issues at all.

o

Any of the above, but the best answer is to run it in the 4-cycle mower, mixed with the regular gas. Automobile catalytic converters and oxygen sensors do not like oil, although at the high dilution we're talking about and only doing it once a year, it really won't hurt anything. I have run my 4-cycle mowers on straight 2-cycle mix (40:1) and the engine doesn't even smoke at all. As for combatting the effects of ethanol in gasoline, I highly recommend STA-BIL Marine stabilizer for Ethanol fuels. I use this in all my engines, vehicles and power equipment.

o

That is a good idea dumping into the mower. Particularly I just posted my crappy mower give a puff of blue smoke everytime I cold start. No matter how you look at it, it don't sound good!!! Mower it is.

o

I can't believe you had to ask.

o

Thanks for the replies...

o

"Automobile catalytic converters and oxygen sensors do not like oil"

I vote for the mower. It's probably better to screw up a $300/400 mower, than a $13000/14000 vehicle.

o

"It's probably better to screw up a $300/400 mower, than a $13000/14000 vehicle."

Who owns a $400 mower or $13,000 vehicle? LOL. At the ratios we're talking about, your vehicle will never see a difference.

o

Not a bad idea to be concerned about the cat and O2 sensor but I don't think it will be a problem if you dilute it thoroughly as said. I have a high mileage (293k) car with cat and O2 sensor that burns a qt of oil every ~700 miles and no issues besides a bit of blue smoke at times. That works out to about a qt of oil burned for every 28 gallons gas.

o

In PA we are still allowed burn barrels.

I use it as a starter to light my
paper trash.

If you let it soak enough, when the match
is tossed in it goes off like a cannon.

o

"In PA we are still allowed burn barrels."

You must live in a rural area. Opem burning has been outlawed in Allegheny County since the 70's.

o

Borrow your neighbors mower and then make sure you "fill it up" before you return it ; ) (just joking)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here