Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brigs & Stra 14.5 hp, got gas in oil.

Posted by olefin none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 10:48

Mower had been running great. Month later started, lots of smoke, then blew oil out breather. Removed filter, full of oil, checked oil level, way overfull. Drained gas/oil from crankcase. Suppose float stuck or float needle valve stuck. Drained gas tank.

Question: What is the purpose of the solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor bowl?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brigs & Stra 14.5 hp, got gas in oil.

I couldn't tell you exactly what the solenoid does but I think it is there to prevent backfires. As you have seen it does nothing to help keep fuel from leaking past your carbs inlet needle and into the intake manifold.

What you do need is a manual fuel shut off valve, like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-3-25-in-W-x-1-25-in-H-Fuel-Shut-Off-Valve-5091/202386208#.UqCkueqEiic

10 minutes to install. Put it between your gas tank and fuel filter. It will stop the leak while the mower is not being used.

The optimum fix is to fix the carb inlet needle or float, but you may not need to and one should install one of these valves anyways, so I would try it first.

o

Excellent advice.
My neighbor had the same problem on his Toro tractor.
He had to keep changing the oil and it became quite costly.
Now after he uses it it he just shuts the fuel line closed and no more gas in the oil. The carb had been rebuilt once before but the issue appeared again. The fuel shut off cured the issue permanently.

o

Question: What is the purpose of the solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor bowl?

electric operated fuel shut-off to the main jet to prevent backfire or loud pop after immediately shutting down hot engine.

You can audible hear the fuel shut-off valve when you turn the key on you will hear click at the carb. bowl. No click the solenoid maybe stuck or defective. Can be cleaned and tested by applying 12V to the single wire and grounding the other to the case of the solenoid. Should see it pop open and closed (up and down) when removed.

Fuel getting into the oil is from the float needle not seating and leaking fuel, beings the carb. is above the crankcase gravity takes it's course and fills up the crankcase as described above.

o

Thank you people!

I had already thought about putting in a block valve. Strange it has never happen in 14 years we had it. And this summer it once set for 4 months! My ATV came with a gas shut off that I always use. We don't live there, only go there maybe once a month or so.
I priced the carb kit online... wow it's high! I'd rather not spend that much so will go with a block valve. Mower is at our farm and we have the farm for sale so only need it to last till it sells.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here