Governor Set-Up - Techumseh 8 hp (?)

Posted by cityboyinburbs 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 13:24

Sears 8 hp Leaf Vac --
Motor is a Sears Model 143.979005
It's a Techumseh

I rebuilt the Carb, but, did not note OEM position of Governor

Actually, I did mark it with magic marker
- which did not survive carburetor-cleaner spray. (Dumb)

Motor will now Start -reluctantly- but once warm will stall.

Anyone with same device (or similar ??) who can tell me in
which position (1 / 2 / 3 / 4 ) that rod should go?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Governor Set-Up - Techumseh 8 hp (?)

That should be a Tecumseh HM90-156005C (9 HP)

Service manual at the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Service manual

o

Link looks good. Could possibly be in 4.Had you installed a new kit? Observation of the float level and quality of the fuel line? I also believe that the fuel cap vents through the threads -may be related to the stall warm.

o

Rebuilt carb, - new everything except welch plugs.
I think I set float correctly,
I Installed new fuel lines, + added a fuel filter (& shutoff ahead of filter).
As to the governor, I'm having a problem reading/interpreting the manual somehow, there doesn't seem to be a definitive spot for the arm, .....or am I missing something.
??

o

The person that is missing something is the one that wrote the manual. FYI: Many times the hole that the link is in is worn shiny. From an operation standpoint, the float is just above level. If you had followed along in the manual, they have a measurement that you do when the carb is off and inverted. As far as you know, is this carb original? I assume that the new line is run through the shroud. Placement of a 125/ 150 micron filter is OK as long as somehow in its mounting it isn't creating a vapor lock condition. If you are using too fine of a filter, or a filter with a large body- that could be problematic. Is the fuel tank mounted on the engine? If I recall, the tank was not on the diagram. On a gravity feed system, the tank mounting has to be high enough to supply a steady stream of fuel through the filter.

o

Just wanted to drop back in and tell you your advice on
*wear marks* was invaluable; haven't used it on leaf vac,
but magical in getting my snowblower working properly.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here