Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caleomi

Honda HRM215 mower getting hard to start

caleomi
15 years ago

My Honda HRM215 mower, which is about 8 years old, is getting harder and harder to start. I generally have to pull the cord a bunch of times, wait 5 min, move the throttle from choke to slow, and try again to get it going.

I've done all the obvious things: changed the oil and plug (and checked the gap), cleaned the air filter, etc. The cables all seem fine.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to check next. Should I consider removing the carb and cleaning it? If so, what is the best way to clean it?

Comments (7)

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

What viscosity oil are you using?
    I've had my Honda for 21 years and have used 20W-50 to 15W-40 and I now use 10W-30.
    On cooler days, the thicker oil made enough difference in cranking speed to make it hard starting. 1-2 pulls to a dozen or more!
    During the heat of summer, it wasn't a problem, but in the cool Spring/Fall, it became quite noticeable.

• caleomi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll have to check on the oil - it would be whatever was recommended in the manual.

The problem is independent of temperature though - it's hard to start in the summer and I live in NC.

• caleomi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I've been out of town for a couple of days.

The mower runs fine once I get it started and I don't see any signs of fuel on the air filter. I haven't checked the manual for this, but I keep wondering if there is a fuel filter that is clogged. Although the fuel I've added recently is new, I'm not sure the tank itself is entirely clean (I'm sure dirt gets in there every time I add fuel, not matter how careful I am).

Over the holidays, I think I'll service the carb as you suggest and check my entire fuel line from tank to carb to make sure everything is clean.

As fate would have it, my garage door opener blew up the other day so my wife wants that fixed before the mower. At least it's an easy problem - just need to replace the plastic gears.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

"I'll have to check on the oil - it would be whatever was recommended in the manual."

My HR215SXA just completed its 21st season.
    The manual recommended 20W-50.
    When they discontinued that model a couple years ago (GXV 140 engine), the then current manual said to use 10W-30.

Mine exhibits the same problem if it sits idle for about a month. I simply remove the air cleaner and dribble a bit of gas into the carb before I even try pulling the rope IF it's sat that long. (maybe I should replace the 7 year old spark plug?)

There is supposed to be a "screen" at the fuel tank/hose connection, but if the engine runs well once started, that's not the problem.

Light bulb just went off-
    I remember a BUNCH of years ago that the throttle cable clamp near the carb loosened slightly and let the housing slip a bit. That prevented the throttle cable from reaching fully and applying the choke!

• educatednut3
    15 years ago

have one in alabama. Spark Plug is what it is. Honda"s are great

• tyguyc
    11 years ago

I know its a dead thread, but I'll continue.

Honda spark plugs are the only plugs that have given me trouble.

They work OK at first, then when they heat up they just stop working.

Just my $.02.