Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rolm

Have you set the tire bead on rim with Ether

rolm
12 years ago

I saw a bunch of guys setting the bead on large and small tires with engine starting fluid and other compustable fluids on youtube. I tried to do the same on Snowblower tires with no luck. I used engine starting fluid and all I managed to get was fire and at times a bit of a pop. Any experts out there. The tires are to deformed to try the belt method. I guess next thing I could try is install tubes. I likeed the easy way I saw on youtube

Comments (7)

• roadbike
    12 years ago

Instead of tubes it may be time for new tires.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

Snow throwers do very well on rotten tires. Tires blowing out at 2 mph is a non-issue. Newer models have solid tires on them. My only suggestion would be to soak the tire in hot water to make it pliable and then try the belt. All this said, Ive got to dig up a set of chains for my latest Ariens. On OPE , I use Fix a flat on old keaky tires with good results.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Yeah, I tried that, but scared my old wife so bad, she ran screaming down the road, and i had to chase her a half-mile to get her to stop! ;0)

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

I have seated tires that way many times. It works great and isn't dangerous beyond the obvious fire hazard. The most important part is to get the air/fuel mixture right. Most of the youtube guys spray 10 times too much fuel. It only takes a squirt. If it just burns then blow some air around in the tire and try again with a smaller squirt. You must be ready with the air hose to inflate the tire quickly because the hot air cools rapidly after it pops the tire on and then the tire will sometimes unseat again as the cooling air shrinks. I myself would not do large tires like a tractor or a truck. I just do riding mower and atv tires etc. The reason I consider it to be safe on these tires is that there isn't much air in the tire to cause a big explosion. It's just a nice pop. Now if someone added pure oxygen to the mix ....look out and run for cover. That would most likely explode.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

I agree with RD , having the fuel vapourize and having it meet the relative flash point is what makes for a Safe and successful bead seating . Either a too lean or over rich mixture with air and either flame or smoke is all that will be produced. I have used this method with lighter fluid (barbecue) on wheel barrow tires for yrs with good rate of success .

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Or, ya could just buy a nice tire-changing machine that will do those little tires. My old Uncle Joe tells me he bought one and it works slicker than grease on a door-knob!
    Said the money it saves, and skinned knuckles, and frayed nerves, is priceless! BT/DT!

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

I tried using Esther for that trick, but she wasn't heavy enough, so i went and got Elaine to help, as she weighs close to 250 lbs. Finally took the tars to a tar store! RJ