Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs and Stratton runs slow

Posted by fishandbrew (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 20:56

I have a B&S 12f700 series engine on a John Deere 14PZ push mower. It's been running slower and slower and losing power. Today I cleaned the carb and replaced the soft goods and float pilot. This is the prime carb, not the choke model.

It took a while to start, and once started, it is running at just above idle speed and won't take any load at all. The governor seems to be working (it's free and will reposition the throttle linkage), but the engine won't run full speed. If I override the governor, it will run full speed.

I know that there is probably information that I have omitted, but I can fill in if necessary.

thanks,
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs and Stratton runs slow

It would likely be your throttle able adjustment or the linkage got bent in the front.(happens enough on these)Assuming the spring doesn't look damaged and is connected, and the cable adjustment is ok. Adjust the linkage. The linkage will adjust by bending the tab forward or it will have a torx screw on the front. In the perfect world, you would have a tach- but adjust by engine sound err on the cautious side rather than overspeed.

o

Thanks - the linkage has gotten bent a couple of times. I'll give it a try when the weather clears.

o

Well, weather cleared up, straightened out the linkage and speed did come up. Now it won't take load. As soon as it hits heavy grass, it dies. It's like the governor isn't working. The spring is in place and all the linkages are intact. The governor seems to be hunting somewhat with no load.

o

The hunting of the governor would indicate that it is running a bit lean. Ensure that the intake is tight and the gasket and new seal is in place. If the seal wasn't new before, make it new. Be sure that the carb mounting bracket has all its bolts in it. The older models had a HS adjustment screw just above the float bowl towards the front of the engine. Turn it out 1/4 turn and fine tune from there. Fuel also needs to be fresh- hopefully w/in 1 month old. If all that seems in order re-clean the entire fuel system complete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here