9 years ago

Was in a photo on thenet.

Comments (7)

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

New Guinea Impatiens.

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

New Guinea Impatiens, it is perennial but tender, you can keep them as pot plants over winter.

That plant looks somewhat stressed or very compact IMO

• 420benz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it is not perennial in MI ...

and its not an easy houseplant in MI in winter ... it doesnt mind the reduced light indoors ... but the humidity levels due to the furnace are rather lower than the plant might prefer ...

they root from cuttings rather easy [or i am confused this morn ... lol].. so if you want to try indoors... you just keep taking cuttings.. and rooting new ones .. and throwing older ones away when they get to ugly ....

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Benzmac, linaria is correct...NG impatiens are tender perennials (no matter where you live), but is most commonly used AS an annual. It's usually reasonably priced at the garden center, more in line with the real annuals. That makes it easier to toss them after a long growing season.

If you are successful at starting seeds inside long before your average last frost date, NGs are easy to grow from seed. They will need more light, however, than what you can provide from a sunny window.

The one pictured above looks like a healthy, young specimen. You can find big, gorgeous baskets of these great plants in every garden center.

My experience with them is that they prefer full sun in the morning, shadier conditions in the afternoon. My perfect location is in my eastern bed, near the house. As the sun moves over the house, shadows fall over the plants for the whole afternoon.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Benzmac, linaria is correct...NG impatiens are tender perennials (no matter where you live), but is most commonly used AS an annual. It's usually reasonably priced at the garden center, more in line with the real annuals. That makes it easier to toss them after a long growing season.

If you are successful at starting seeds inside long before your average last frost date, NGs are easy to grow from seed. They will need more light, however, than what you can provide from a sunny window.

The one pictured above looks like a healthy, young specimen. You can find big, gorgeous baskets of these great plants in every garden center.

My experience with them is that they prefer full sun in the morning, shadier conditions in the afternoon. My perfect location is in my eastern bed, near the house. As the sun moves over the house, shadows fall over the plants for the whole afternoon.

• calliope
    9 years ago

The plant is healthy but stressed. It looks to be in too sunny a location, judging by the leaf size, but ample bloom. Even the seed grown ones just starting to bloom in the greenhouses have larger, lusher leaves than this.