Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf ID

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago Area (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 1:32

I found this leaf in my yard the other day, and it doesn't match with anything I've seen before. There is a Penny (below) and Nickel (above) for size comparision. Any ideas what it is?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf ID

A shot in the dark - maybe this small leaf came from a perennial like heucherella?
hortster

o

I wish it was that easy. It's possible there are some of those nearby, but looking at pictures of them, their leaves are very different. They look more like the Acer Rubrums nearby. The lobes on the leaf I found are significantly more pronounced than anything I can find online or in the books I've looked at.

I know it's a tough one if this group is pretty much stumped!

vince

o

The occasional non-standard leaf is not uncommon. This may have come from a tree that normally has leaves that are not so deeply cut but still has the same basic shape. Like a norway or silver maple. The red maples near me can vary in shape a fair amount from tree to tree, and the cultivars or hybrids with silver maple even more so.

o

I would bet that nickel and penny your leaf is from a cannabis plant. More than likely C. indica which is not native, one of your neighbors must garden indoors.

o

Looking at images of C. indica online, they are very different, pinnate? than this leaf, which looks more like a maple leaf but with more clearly defined lobes.

o

Global, I'll bet you a million dollars and a penny that this leaf is not Cannabis.

o

Your leaf shape is palmate(possibly digitate) with palmate venation in my opinion. Not the best sample for positive i.d or (large)wagers. Cannabis is arguably the most hybridized plant in history, which could lead to an endless amount of leaf variance. I guess we shall never know for certain, thanks farmboy for sharing this puzzling specimen.
Rhizo, I don't have a million dollars but my last bet stands. Your confidence does make me curious, do tell, what knowledge is your basis formed upon?

o

Your leaf shape is palmate(possibly digitate) with palmate venation in my opinion. Not the best sample for positive i.d or (large)wagers. Cannabis is arguably the most hybridized plant in history, which could lead to an endless amount of leaf variance. I guess we shall never know for certain, thanks farmboy for sharing this puzzling specimen.
Rhizo, I don't have a million dollars but my last bet stands. Your confidence does make me curious, do tell, what knowledge is your basis formed upon?

o

Malva species

This post was edited by nicethyme on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 8:02

o

I checked google for images for Malve and Althea, and did find one Althea Rosea "Queeny Purple" species pictured that looks very similar. Don't know how well the long link below will transpose, so I also copied the image and attached it;

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vanbloem.com/_ccLib/image/plants/DETA-482.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vanbloem.com/index.cfm?fuseaction%3DPLANTS.plantDetail%26plant_id%3D482&h=250&w=250&sz=22&tbnid=Z3Gq5kPrwldNKM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=95&zoom=1&usg=__1oRFvgppUI0Ya1T-biol9f_NEHI=&docid=IGUnDaaxj8YvHM&sa=X&ei=j9EPUcP8GseEyAH17IDYDw&ved=0CEgQ9QEwBg&dur=1345

This makes sense, as while the Hollyhocks I have were long gone and the leaves were very different, the leaves in the image at the link are a good fit. It could very well be from some other sort of flower, but I didn't see anything in the Malva family that was close.

As for Cannabis, there aren't many neighbors nearby, and I don't see the ones near as the type to grow anything indoors; if they wanted it, they could easily buy it from some other source. Me, I can't stand the smell of the plant, but wish it would be legalized to avoid wasting so much on enforcement and allow the states to make tax dollars to avoid raising taxes.

vince

o

Your leaf margins are serrate, A. rosea looks a bit more undulate. The petiole length of your leaf also seems disproportionately longer, even to the lower larger growth of A. rosea. Sinuses are not quite the same either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here