Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this- has great looking flowers

Posted by kombuchakid (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 1:35

I came across a whole lawn of these in a garden in Panchgani in the highlands (4700 ft) south of Pune. I would also like to know if it will grow in a pot at about 500ft?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this- has great looking flowers

this is the flower of the plant in the previous photo

o

This most certainly is a bromeliad. Grows here in Brisbane pretty much at sea level!

o

Looks like Aechmea gamosepala...a smaller, easily grown bromeliad that should be fine at a lower elevation, as Blackbeantree says. It's bloom will be lavender, soft to bright, depending on the level of sun exposure.

I am attaching a link to the Florida Council's pictures...an invaluable resource!
Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Council's Bromeliad Pictures

o

Thank you both
Interesting name I wonder if it gas a more common name?

Just one more which was growing nearby, I suppose another bromeliad?

o

Kombuchakid...I did some looking around for a common name and found some references to Aechmea gamosepala as 'Matchstick Plant' since individual flowers look like a matchstick.

As far as your other picture, it's a bromeliad, genus is billbergia, but I can't get closer than that. There are a lot of spotted leaved billbergias out there. Bob

o

Billbergia pyramidalis 'Fantasia'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Billbergia pyramidalis 'Fantasia' towards bottom

This post was edited by saltcedar on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 19:08

o

Thank you Bob and SaltCedar, that's what I like; simple names for simple people.:-)

o

I agree with the above posters. The "matchstick" bromeliad is sadly one of the shortest lived flowers, or should I say one that does not hold its colour nearly as long as many other aechmea or other bromeliads. The Billbergia is a bit the same, though that plant has the advantage of the interesting leaves.
Both will have a similar growth pattern though, after flowering, the mother plant will slowly die off, but hopefully first she will make one or more offsets ("pups") which will go on to produce a flowering sized plant in about 2 years.
Many of the epiphytic bromeliads are from high altitude tropical and subtropical areas in south america so if you do a little reading you should find others which may be suitable to your climate.
They can also be grown from seed, though offsets are much the easier route.

o

Thank you for your input alisonoz
I am awaiting with bated breath for new bloom to appear
Cheers
Kombuchakid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here