Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID this vine?

Posted by shear_stupidity 9B (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 9:05

I have this vine coming under the fence from the bank of a canal... where it's growing up and suffocating other trees and plants. What is it and what can I do to keep it from constantly invading my yard?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID this vine?

Passiflora?

o

Maybe passion fruit?

o

I looked up both, and that doesn't seem to fit this vine.

o

i agree - i think its a passionfruit/passionflower of some kind. theres variety in the leaves between the different kinds and this one looks like passiflora edulis subspecies
??
a guess, not sure....but i grow some different passionflowers and thats what they look like when they are young- the edulis has those smaller simple leaves...until they get older and the leaves change.

o

Or maybe Passiflora foetida? If it isn't Passiflora, it will surprise me. And if Carrieb were wrong on this ID, that would be a bigger surprise. Google "Passiflora foetida leaves". Even if it isn't that species, it will show how close the leaves are to your pic.

o

After reading this, I went outside and took two more pictures of this vine from the other side of the fence. I found this "grape" on it. Does this help verify it's a wild grape? Or could it still be something else? Final question... is it edible or desirable, or invasive and gonna kill my stuff?

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

yeah especially that pic, passionflower of some kind.
not wild grape.
i still say passiflora edulis subspecies, the one with purple fruit apparently. but maybe a different kind, theres a lot of different kinds.

imo, these are very desirable plants to grow, with tasty edible fruit, beautiful flowers (you will know for sure its a passion
flower or not once it flowers, and what kind- they are amazingly beautiful).

invasive is a matter of opinion...it grows intensely fast and covers a fence quick.... and pops back up from the roots...in the right climate.

o

Passiflora suberosa perhaps? It's a southern US native and matches
well with your specimen. The small greenish white flowers are easily
missed among the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora suberosa.

o

I'm convinced that this is a Passiflora... thank you guys so much! It's growing wild in an uncultivated area and I had no idea what to expect from it. I've purchased a Passion Flower vine before, and had NO luck with it, so I guess I was reluctant to think that this wild, uncared for, beaten and mowed down vine was something someone would WANT. I'm going to train it on my fence and pray for the flowers I had wanted ten years ago when I tried to grow these!

o

Saltcedar is correct (as usual.) It is a Passiflora suberosa, also known as Corkystem passion vine. You can see the "cork" forming on the older portion of the stem.

You will likely be disappointed with the flowers of this variety. They are somewhat inconspicuous but it is a host plant for the Zebra Longwing butterfly. The flower is only about 1/2" in diameter
pallida

This post was edited by karyn1 on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 7:23

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here