Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown House Plant?

Posted by myhorsecloud none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 9:20

So one day my brother brought this plant home, he never told me where he got it. It didn't have any identification and looked really sick. I trimmed off a lot of the dead leaves and branches, but I really don't know what to do with it! Does anyone know what it is? Also, I would love some tips on what to do with it! I don't know how to help it. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown House Plant?

Could be Gardenia. I'd repot and put in the sunniest spot I could find. What state are you in? It might be able to go in the ground outside.

o

Ok thanks I'll look into that. Thanks! Maryland, what do they need outdoors?

o

I don't think any Gardenias can live permanently in the ground that far north unfortunately. It needs to come inside to escape the cold of winter, then should enjoy taking a vacation outside for summer.

There are discussions about potted Gardenias on the fragrant forum.

I think it's too soon to call the lack of objections to my suggestion that it's a Gardenia a confirmation. Not much to go on here.

Whatever it is, good luck! Don't be too hard on yourself if this doesn't make it. We can't know what's happened to it before you got it, and it looks barely alive.

o

I would put it in a bigger pot and fertilize it. I was thinking it was a Gardenia. Hard to tell. I'd just give it regular fertilizer in case we id'ed it wrong. It won't hurt it.

o

I don't think it's a Gardenia, I think it's a dying Pointsettia.

Whatever it is, sorry but it's dying. If you scratch any of those stems w/ your fingernail & see GREEN, then there's still some living tissue.

Otherwise it's a goner & I wouldn't waste my time trying to fix it, it's too far gone, sorry that's not what you wanted to hear.

o

Alternate leaf arrangement of Poinsettia rules that out. Tabernaemontana or Gardenia seem more likely.

o

It could be a Coffee plant. Sometimes they are sold as house plants.

o

Please include a warning about potential latex sap that one could contact if scratching, if/when a Euphorbia is suspected. Avoidable extreme dermatological misery!

o

'Chuck Hayes' and 'Shooting Star' can live in zone 6b/7a in Maryland - provided they are protected from winter sun until 11:00 a.m. or later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here