Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillo12345

Help Identify Jade & Advice for Care

phillo12345
10 years ago

I got this plant from a local garden center in exchange for the same type of plant that had done poorly. The plant pictured seems to be heading down a similar path.

I couldn't find the plant in Google images and I'm not sure what it needs. I'd appreciate any advice as it seems to be fairly delicate compared to other jades I have.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

No image?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if it is a jade ... barely any water.. will rot off the roots ... which in turn.. makes it limp and spongey ...

it should be watered as a cactus ... near bone dry.. all the time... in a very porous media... in a pot that drains ...

we need a pic to confirm the ID.. unless you are sure.. and if so.. head over to the houseplant forum .. or maybe even succulent forum ...

but please do post us the pic... inquiring minds.. need to know ...

and if its not a jade.. there is half your problem ...

ken

• phillo12345
    Original Author
    10 years ago

try this again...sorry about that

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I believe it to be a type of Crassula perforata, there are several cultivars. Not usually called a jade plant, which is Crassula ovata.

As a rule, these succulents require a planting medium that is porous and fast draining. That will allow you to water thoroughly when the plant needs it without fear of causing a water logged environment. After a drenching, allow the medium to dry out quite a bit until the next time.

A peaty, mucky potting mix is a difficult medium in which to manage a succulent plant.

These plants also need plenty of good light, but be careful about exposing them to direct, outdoor sun.

If Crassula species are chronically over OR under watered, they will wilt. The leaves will become flaccid and spongy feeling when that happens. Then, powdery mildew and other molds will be happy to take over.

Your job is to determine if the potting mix you are using is suitable or not. Then, you'll be able to provide the proper balance of water, light, fertilizer, that makes your plant healthy and happy. I happen to think that succulents, as a group, are easy to grow. But, some of their needs are non-negotiable.

• phillo12345
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I watered it once several days ago and the soil is still damp; I think that's not good. I'll pick up a small clay pot today and re-pot it using a miracle grow succulent soil I have on hand.

As for the ID thank you I'll be able to research crassula perforata now. And thanks for the quick reply and detailed useful information.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

By the way, you can wick out excess water by using newspaper or paper towel. Roll up the towel tightly and insert one end into a drainage hole.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Even using Cactus & Succulent Mix, you ought to still add add about 50% perlite to maximize drainage.

The advice above ('barely any water') is quite INCORRECT for Jades plants (Crassula ovata) especially in Winter, their active growth season).

Pls. see the Cactus & Succulent Forum for current, correct & more useful info. on Jades. (Following advise above, may hurt, if not actually underwater your plant to death.)

• phillo12345
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip about the wick I appreciate it.

Regarding the mix, perlite, watering and winter growth thanks for that info I knew none of it.

I was in the garden center that sold me the plant and they're going to contact the grower and explain the situation. I'm waiting until I talk to them before doing anything. The plant has been watered, has enough light and is in the growing medium it was shipped with. I'll update this thread when I have info. Thanks again for the help.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor