Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need IDs on these

Posted by shear_stupidity 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 10:34

This is an old magazine clipping. I'd like to duplicate this look in my coastal Florida 9B location. I'd like ID's on as many as possible. Thanks!

(Deleted photo)

This post was edited by shear_stupidity on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 8:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need IDs on these

I see Astilbe and Stonecrop.

o

I see a ton of Asiatic lily's and mound of bear grass?

o

The red-leafed plant could be perilla or a red basil or red coleus, though coleus will prefer shade in general. The Perilla will seed around rampantly, so you might want to avoid that.

Due to the photo quality, I can't tell if the tallish plant that runs the length of the garden down the middle is actually variegated or if it's a silver leafed plant with sun causing the differences. It could be a variegated taller sedum (aka stonecrop) such as 'Autumn Charm.'

Next to the astilbe in the front left might be a mum that's not in bloom.

Because of where you are, you may need to substitute for many of these plants since often garden magazines are written for the middle zones and you are at one extreme for US gardening. For instance many bulbs need a chill period in order to grow well and bloom, and I think that Asiatic lilies may be one that do. However, there are other lilies (such as the typical Easter lily AKA longiflorum lily) which is fine in your zone or other bulbs such as amaryllis that may give a similar effect without needing the chilling. Astilbe are rated to do well up to zone 8, a bit colder than your 9B. You might want to get some books or magazines on FL gardening that have lots of photos with the plants ID'd and choose plants with similar looks and growth patterns rather than trying to use the plants in this photo. It might save you some heartbreak and frustration.

o

I agree with you nhbabs. I wanted ID's so I could look them up and see if they work here, or see closer pics of each plant so I could find something similar to get the same effect.
Thanks for the ID's. Now for the homework. LOL!

o

The plant which is hard to see (could be variegated, could be the light shining on it) might be Euphorbia marginata aka Snow on the Mountain.

o

Well, even if it isn't, that's a beautiful plant! Is it invasive in Florida?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here