Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary?

Posted by shear_stupidity 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 10:41

Is this topiary made from Rosemary? If not, could I achieve this look using Rosemary?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary?

Don't believe it's Rosemary(note the graft).
Perhaps a Westringia?

o

That's funny. I never noticed the graft before. I was too busy squinting at the leaves.
Can I get Rosemary to do this?

o

It should work, I see them for sale in garden centers from time to time.

o

Rosemary topiaries are very common.

o

Definitely not rosemary but I have seen rosemary in similar shapes. If you google "topiary" or "make topiary" you'll get more info on the how-to's of it. You could also try "herbal topiary" if you want to do it with herbs like rosemary.

FataMorgana

o

For topiary, make sure you get an upright variety of rosemary, as opposed to prostrate.

o

I'm not sure I've ever seen an upright one. I had one that sprawled on the ground almost like a groundcover, then another that's upright but more like a bush. I'll have to "look under their skirts" before buying I guess?

o

Tuscan for example

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuscan Blue Rosemary

o

That looks like what I have! If I start cuttings, will they be the same?

As a side-note, I can't hardly make a poultry dish without Rosemary unless it's mexican food. I should probably take cuttings and grow more Rosemary regardless, since I keep picking my plants almost clean!

o
If I start cuttings, will they be the same?

Yes, all clones (cuttings) should be identical to the parent plant.

o

It is Dwarf Myrtle, smells great like Rosemary does.

Myrtus communis 'compacta'

o

You can't get rosemary to grow like that because it needs a strong, woody trunk to hold up the top growth, and rosemary isn't like that.

But rosemary is very easy to grow from cuttings. Just take cuttings and put them in a pot and water them and they'll root.

About the Tuscan blue - thanks for posting the pic, I have a couple of small ones. I like this one because it has bright blue flowers that are a lot larger than other rosemaries.

o

Yes, you can either purchase or develop rosemary as a standard, but I think what you have in the picture is common myrtle.

o

I'll try it with both! I already have some Rosemary, but I'll have to try to find Myrtle. I'm not sure I've ever seen it for sale before?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here