Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asudevil311

Tree ID

Came across this tree in Dublin... namely in Saint Stephen's Green park. Just curious as to what type of tree it is. From what I could google, I think it could be a lime tree (mainly because they use a lot of those as path-lining trees there, and historically they were used in that park). Confirmation of that, or of true identity would be great. Let me know and I can add more images if needed. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I'd be inclined to go with one of the Tilia (lime tree), but would like to see a much better picture of the leaves.

• saltcedar
    11 years ago

Beech (Fagus)sp?

• stevenNEVETS
    11 years ago

Fagus sylvatica? cant see any lime colour on the underside
    stems, in agreement with saltcedar.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I'd come down on the Tilia side. The leaves are not fully expanded but the bark doesn't look like beech to me. Also beech is not much seen in parks whereas limes are very common city trees, often pollarded.

I don't really understand the comment about the lime colour.

• stevenNEVETS
    11 years ago

Hi flora uk, lime trees if you look on the underside of the the stems they ussualy have a lime colour.
    Im a newbie so please excuse but i deffinatley know this as it was pointed out to me by my lecturer, some of my terminoligy may be off but im
    certain of the lime on the bottom of stems.

A close up would be good for clarification and i will re check the bark on beech, thank you.

• asudevil311 - zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help so far... here are a couple more shots I have.

{{gwi:135642}}

{{gwi:135643}}

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

OK. This is definitely Lime aka Tilia x europaea.

But I still don't understand the reference to 'lime' colour on the under side of the stems. It just ain't so - sorry. The twigs come in a variety of colours depending on sun exposure, etc. This is an extremely common tree over here. The colour of the twigs is not a good id feature compared with bud shape, leaf arrangement, crown shape, bark etc. because it is so very highly variable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tilia x europaea

• stevenNEVETS
    11 years ago

Thank you flora uk, i feel a bit stupid now as Tilla & Fagus
    were the first two of ten i had to i.d.
    Im in the middle of my course right now and the work load is getting a bit heavier so some basic terminoligy get,s lost
    but comes back after a little memmory jog & a little help from good people like you.

I will ask my tutor about the lime -point again, it, was just one of them things that stick in your head, maybee it could have been lime induced chlorosis?

Anyway sorry for the confusion i have caused and i will try not to be to fast to jump in again with my thoughts unless im definatley positive. I hate making stupid mistakes as im doing pretty good on my course, i have had 100% in i.d,s
    when they come up and have not fell bellow 90 % in other areas or failed any units.

I like to come on and see if i can do some more i.d of flowers especially as i dont think we get enough of them, aswell as gaining more knowledge and keeping the memory upto date.

Thank you again and im really sorry.

• stevenNEVETS
    11 years ago

double post.

This post was edited by stevenNEVETS on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 8:22

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

What's to be sorry about? You just gave an opinion. I've never learned any of this stuff formally. I've just spent a lot of time (ie all my life really) looking at plants.... All the best for your course. Stay on here - there are some really good plantspeople here.

• asudevil311 - zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys... now the important follow-up question: Will a Tilia x europaea survive in Phoenix, AZ?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Someone in your neck of the woods will have to answer this one. But my feeling is that it would not be at all happy given the difference in your climate and mine. There are other Tilia species and bboy or someone else might be able to tell you if any of them would grow for you.

Your pictures show the delicate spring foliage which in Eire or the UK would develop over several weeks in our cool damp springs. (It is edible btw) I imagine in Arizona it would fry pretty rapidly.

• asudevil311 - zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would figure as much... on our trip to Dublin I thought these trees looked so awesome. The bright green leaves against the darker branches looks so sweet.

• theplantwizard
    11 years ago

asudevil, you'll have to define 'survive', I think. My Sunset Western Garden Book says Tilia would survive in our zone (13), "unless otherwise noted", but T. x europaea isn't listed, so I'm not sure. I haven't seen any Tilias growing around here. It may not die from the heat, but it might not look very good unless you had a control over your microclimate.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting