Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadlyn

Help Identifying Berry-producing Tree

shadlyn
9 years ago

I just bought a new house and there are two plants - one tree and one shrub - in the back yard producing berries.

Lots of my friends and family have small children, so I need to know what plants these are so that I can warn appropriately re: toxicity, and give good information if the kids ingest anything.

So far my internet searches have been limited use.

This post: The Tree:

The tree is about 12 ft tall, with gloss dark green leaves in a teardrop shape. The edges of the leaves are smooth. The leaves are in an opposite arrangement - paired leaves, first pair coming from the front/back of the stem, second pair coming from the right/left and so on.

The tree has dark blue clusters of small, round berries coming off of reddish stems. The tree bark is sort of grey-ish tan.

The tree was clearly landscaped here, but it doesn't seem to have lost it's leaves during the winter. (Disclaimer: Texas winter has been mild, so while most trees have lost their leaves on schedule this might be a misleading fact.)

Reading descriptions online, I thought it might be some variety of Ligustrum, but when I checked pictures none of them looked right.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (3)