spermfeather

Kind of a hard 1!!!

SpermFeather
10 years ago

I have no idea what it is...

Comments (9)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Are you growing that as a house plant? It looks like a fantastically healthy Chenopodium album - mugwort, fat hen or lambs quarters.

But if the stems are a bit woody and the leaves a bit felty it could be an Atriplex of some kind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chenopodium album

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i was going to suggest that was the healthiest weed i ever saw ... lambs quarter.. lol ...

please.. favor us with the history ... pot outside in summer... friend with a bizarre sense of humor???

regardless.. its healthy.. and rather pretty .. so what if its a weed .. enjoy it ...

just dont let it go to seed... it will be all over the house.. lol ..

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hope it doesn't ruin that wood table, is that water all around the bottom of the pot?

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Flora - I've never seen lamb's quarters called "mugwort." Mugwort to me is Artemisia vulgaris. Gotta love common names - there are so many and they are such a source of confusion since we all have different ones! :)

FataMorgana

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Fatamorgana - you are dead right. I got my mugworts and my fat hens mixed up. I only learned Lambs Quarters from GW.

Do we all think it is C album? It looks so hefty and bushy, I have a needling doubt. Maybe it's been pinched back by someone?

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

A well-tended lamb's quarters to be sure. I suspect someone sowed seed and this grew as opposed to the seed that was sown. Wouldn't be the first time tell-tended weeds were thought to be something else.

OP- A "weed" is in the eye of the beholder. If you enjoy the plant, please keep it. Chenopodiums, including this one, have been cultivated for their edible leaves and seeds. Quinoa is a sister species that looks very similar (I couldn't tell the young plants apart in the garden!) and it is a tasty and nutritious gourmet grain. So enjoy the beauty and useful nature of the species.

Flora- I have seen plants other than A. vulgaris as mugwort so I thought this may be another example. I love the confusion of common names! :)

FataMorgana

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I had no idea this plant (assuming Chenopodium) had the potential to be so attractive. Wish all of my house plants looked this great after being stuck inside for a couple months.

A lot of the house plants I dragged down here from OH are just noxious weeds here but I still have some of them in a pot. If you like it, more power to you! I can see how this could make a valuable/interesting contribution to a mixed outdoor planter.

AFAIK, it's a true annual, so it could be an interesting experiment to see how long you can keep this alive.

• SpermFeather
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Lamb Quarters. Yes it did look like a seedling of something else I was trying to plant and that's why I let it live... It's planted in no-smell manure and I give it dynamic TLC that's why it looks so healthy. Believe it or not that's about 45 days of growth. Its roots completely took over all the soil and are coming out of the bottom hole and it inhales water so I've been flooding it all day and it has insane growth. Pretty for a weed!

• SpermFeather
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way - this plant came from a bag of no-smell manure.