Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astro_gw

unidentified plant

astro
9 years ago

I rescued this plant from a family member's home a few months ago.

It is about a foot tall, whorled finely serrated leaves, smooth stalk. Have not seen evidence of flowering.

Online database searches unhelpful.

Would love to know what this is so I can treat it properly :)

Located upstate NY near Albany.

Thank you!

Comments (23)

• astro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Additional image

• astro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last image

• astro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last image

{{gwi:2118509}}

• astro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Additional image

{{gwi:2118510}}

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Impatiens of some sort.

• audrey_gw
    9 years ago

Possibly Impatiens sodenii. It has thick stems.

• Pongalong
    9 years ago

Yep that's an impatiens! Very likely a New Guinea Impatient.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Looks like a very sad balsam to me - not a good houseplant, I believe...

• averil
    9 years ago

It looks like the old fashioned Busy Lizzie (impatien walleriana). It usually flowers pink or white and can grow big and bushy if you pinch it out. They are very hard to find here in UK and make lovely houseplants

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

It looks like Himalayan Balsam to me (Impatiens glandulifera)

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

It got probably too little light.

Just by size, Impatiens glandulifera is highly unlikely.
    IME for Imp walleriana the leaf proportions are not right, too longish, the reddish hue is not typicall as well.

My bet is on New Guinea Impatiens.

We used to keep some as pot plants, always indoors on the windos sill.
    They did quite nicely.

I would place it nearer to the light, water regularly, but not drown it and start a liquid fertilizer around March.

My dad used to clip back ours in spring, it regrew very well.

Good luck, bye

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It is an impatien commonly know as busy lizzies it has pairs of pink flowers usually like in this picture of one of mine...you should take cuttings and position the plant in direct sunlight rotating every three days to ensure even upward growth...cuttings go on a sunny windowsill south facing in a jar of water until they root....the plant also should be potted up as it is showing signs of it being pot bound...

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago

Your plant should look like the one above but as a result of being in a pot for an extended period it's showing signs that it has been neglected the stems should be green and almost translucent the leaves should be more rounded and a darker shade of green but when a plant is starved of nutrients it adapts to survive shedding leaves and flowers ..changing leaf shape is also a sign of long term neglect...but this is a very hardy plant and can be revitalised by cutting it back and potting it up in a peet free potting compost.. In a good sized pot...cuttings in a jar of water like I mentioned earlier in case the plant doesn't make it...best of luck

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

I think that it's a New Guinea impatiens, too. That would be Impatiens hawkeri. It's not suitable as a houseplant.

• ophoenix
    8 years ago

Might be impatient - but what ever it is it is not happy. I would cut it back to 3 or 4 nodes each stalk and put the cut pieces in either water or pearlite - water works just fine. cut into lengths of 4 or so leave nodes or no less than 6 inches. Change water at least every two days and put is bright light on window sill. Very soon it will get calcified nodules and little roots will come out of the stem and you will have lots of new plants. When the water roots are about 4 - 6 inches - put into soil and keep moist and they will be ready for spring. Be patient - if you keep the water from getting slimy and toss out the few that sort of slime up you will have enough for you and your friends. LOL These are garden plants - not house plants in most zones.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago

If I keep a cutting of my busy lizzy in water too long the leafs become serrated the stalk thickens and eventually it stops flowering and looses almost all its leafs the stalk starts to redden and it looks like this..

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago

We get a lot of rain and wind here in Ireland and so it is almost impossible to keep these impatiens outdoors but I have grown them in a green house with a heated bed...but the ones I keep indoors I have gotten to a height of 6ft plus....

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

The word is Impatiens (capitalized, one T,) not impatients.

• ophoenix
    8 years ago

Looks fine to me - those are roots at the bottom of the stalk! Gently plant it in some fine potting soil, water - let drain and then water only when it feels dry. You now have a new plant.

• Daithi OGadhrai
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Short attention span....have we...I know what to do with a cutting after it has grown roots I've been dealing with impatiens for eight years now...I'm intentionally keeping it in water...the idea is to grow it on in an ornamental glass vase with gravel instead of soil..So that I can sell them to people who want one that grows slowly and is miniaturised on their desk at work or for people with only a shelf for plants...it's a space saving busy lizzy..

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?