Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this tree

Posted by baplgate Winter Park FL (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 13:54

My neighbor has this tree and it produces seed pods which my puppy has taken interest in, the neighbor does not care for the tree either(urgh) I would like to know if someone can id this tree. The tree is in Winter Park, FL. The picture represents the leaves and seed pods. The tree was mostly destroyed by Hurricanes in 2004 and has been allowed to grow back haphazardly and last summer part of it came crashing down into our yard. No one knows if it was planted by former owners or was here when houses built in 80's. Thanks for any help I get, this is my first post here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this tree

Melia azedarach I believe.

o

I'd agree with that ID. The fruits are toxic to humans (in quantity) so I'd err on the side of safety and discourage your dog from touching them.

o

Thanks for the info but I did have one of those *drunk* trees in a previous yard and the birds used to fly into my husbands van so we had the property manager cut it down, I don't see any drunk birds around here. I wonder if it is really a china berry. Later *its freezing here in sunny FL* I will post a pic of the whole tree.

o

it's a chinaberry, a tree with weak branches that can break without warning.

o

You don't think that it's a Chinaberry because of the lack of drunken birds? :-) I believe that if you look at some images, you'll agree that the tree is a chinaberry.

o

Claims its main commercial value may be for timber:

"Melia azedarach in keeping with other members of the family Meliaceae has a timber of high quality, but as opposed to many almost-extinct species of mahogany it is under-utilised."

Although I wonder how that might be true if it has weak branches?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinaberry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here