Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stretchtex1

Is this a shrub or tree?

John
10 years ago

Purchased a home a couple of months ago with these planted along the side fence and back fence. I really have no use for them and just assume have them removed because my grass will not grow underneath. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Comments (9)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I can't id them but have you talked to the neighbours? Maybe they wouldn't take kindly to the loss of privacy/shade/greenery which would affect them if you cut them down.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Cut them down low in the spring and start the hedge over again, keep it pruning lower and furnished to the base. Or put mulch on the bare dirt instead of trying to grow grass where it doesn't want to.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Look very much like Ligustrum lucidum, highly invasive in the southern US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glossy privet

• John
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I enlisted the help of a professional for a consultation on Tuesday. My yard has really nice pecan trees and a mature live oak and these just don't seem to be a good fit.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you want to look down the street at the neighbors????

if so.. all the power to you...

they are trimmed in this manner.. to minimize the space in the yard.. while max'ing the site blocking ....

if you dont want to see the fence.. then i suggest.. after an ID.. to extend the bed.. and add some smaller things to hide the fence...

but think long and hard about getting rid of your sight block.. because once its gone.. there will be no fixing such.. inside the next decade ...

in the US.. the neighbor has no rights to object to your removal.. of your plants.. on your property ... so do make sure.. they are on your property ...

all that said.. if it is a true invasive in your area ... you should act appropriately ...

good luck with the pro ... i hope you found someone that does NOT have a vested interest in running his chain saw.. or selling you replacements .... let us know what they have to say.. before you take the next step ...

good luck

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I didn't mean that the neighbours could stop them being removed. Just that it might not be a good start to fall out with them as soon as you move in. Our new neighbours have made themselves hugely unpopular in the street by cutting down a trellis of roses and exposing the whole row of homes to a hideous roof and gas vents on a building behind us.

Also it is not always a good idea to cut things down before living in a place for a while. You might discover things about the prevailing wind, unpleasant noises or sights, shade, etc. which will not become obvious until the summer.

Quite possibly the neighbours would immediately plant a row of something on their side over which you would have no control. On the other hand they may hate the hedge and be pleased to see them gone. That's why I suggested discussing it with them.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

DISGUSTrums should be exterminated with extreme prejudice. ;-)

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Get rid of them and plant something else.

• John
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Turns out they were Ligustrum and I'm getting ready to fire up the chansaw. Thanks everyone.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County