Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Collecting, Central FL

Posted by shear_stupidity 9B (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 15:22

I just collected about a giga-billion Necklace Pod seeds today. What other plants or flowers in my zone should I be watching for seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Collecting, Central FL

Hey shear,
Here's one that you DON'T want to harvest for seeds. The Showy Rattlebox. I'm not sure if they're growing in your zone right now. Here they're everywhere. They're beautiful when in bloom, but are highly toxic, especially the seeds. They were introduced to the U.S as a cover crop, or green manure crop, for sandy soil. They're a legume, so they add nitrogen to the soil. They're considered invasive now. Ironic, isn't it?
Anyway, particularly if you have pets or young children, you may want to remove them from your yard to prevent ingestion or transference of toxins. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I just thought you should know.
Do you have Oleander growing? Mine usually seed in winter, (in south Florida).

Here is a link that might be useful: Showy Rattlebox Photo

o

Hi, Jamangel. I've never seen a plant that looks like that around here? That's not to say it doesn't grow here, I've just never seen it.

I don't have Oleander... yet. It's on my list of plants to get, though. Maybe I should go for a "walk" in my neighborhood! LOL! But seriously. What do the seeds look like?

o

There's ripe oleander pods all over FL now. The seed pods are long and cylindrical with tapered ends. When ripe they'll split allowing 100's of small brown seeds with a fluffy beige tuft to escape.

Here is a link that might be useful: oleander seed pods

o

Ok, thanks Karyn1. I'll go seed-hunting!

o

Ok, thanks Karyn1. I'll go seed-hunting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here