Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushibu10

what is this plant and how do I care for it?

mushibu10
10 years ago

hello

I bought this plant for a �1 in September 2013 it was in a 3inch pot and now it's in a 5inch pot abs it's roots have taken over. whole pot and coming out the top (going to add more soil to pot)

so what is the plant and how do I care for it?

thank you

Comments (15)

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

It looks like a Pilea.

• thedecoguy
    10 years ago

Yes, Pilea,Aluminium plant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the peeps in the houseplant forum.. might lead you to a potting media... rather than soil ... which it looks like you are using ...

media is so much easier to use.. in the long run ... for a multitude of reasons ...

this is a plant.. which.. most likely.. can go outside into mother earth for summer... rooted easily.. and the rootings brought back in in late summer ... as a way of keeping it.. but not harboring an over-aggressive monster, indoors .. which seems to be its inclination ... lol

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Ken - I would not put this outside in the ground here. It's likely to be washed away or eaten by slugs. But the potted plant could stand outside. Slugs may still be a problem. The 'soil' looks fine to me. It may be houseplant compost. I think it looks extremely healthy and is obviously happy. To keep it bushy you can pinch out the growing tips periodically.

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all, it was potted into a fine seeding compost it was light and fluffy I choose that as roots was fine and like hairs so didn't want to damage them of stop it growing.

I want it to a bit bigger so I'll let it grow a bit

and what do you mean by a potting media?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

mushibu10 - Ken refers to potting 'media' (probably ought to be potting 'medium' if you want to nit pick about singular and plural) but over here we call it potting 'compost'.

Seedling compost isn't really the thing for long term growing as it doesn't have sufficient nutrition and is quite dense. I just use the stuff sold as house plant compost. Any garden centre or DIY place such as Homebase will have it. No need to repot now but when you do I'd get the appropriate compost.

Note to US readers. Don't panic over me recommending 'compost'. In the UK the word means both rotted down stuff and growing media. It's quite clear which is which in the shops.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Ken, "this is a plant.. which.. most likely.. can go outside into mother earth for summer... rooted easily.. and the rootings brought back in in late summer"

I do this with many plants from the 'house plant realm,' but wouldn't consider it for something so tiny and fussy as Pilea. Where did this 'monster' stuff come from? More babbling about a plant you've never had before?

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you purpleinopp. the solid was mostly sand soft like childs play pit sand. and as for it growing out of control this is the plant what 2 days later? what John Innes (i use number 2 as I have alot of cacti and other (sub)tropical plants) would you recommend? (i use wilkinsons as its ã1-ã2 cheaper than local garden centre and b&q also homebase)

and I have a few that won't go out side like my coconut palm from a coconut I bought at Sainsburys for 80p lol it's 5'6" tall with 9 frounds (not showing split (feather like) one's yet)

thank you all

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Now that's impressive - growing your own coconut palm. Sounds as if you need no help on house plant care.

I just buy 'house plant compost' but the JI site says number 2 for general potting of house plants.

I gather you are up North if you have Wilkinsons.

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no I'm southwest (Wiltshire) okay well I have luck but I have killed loads before mould is biggest killer any good fungicide that I can get in UK for mould and other fungi, after it sets in? (been using cinnamon it doesn't kill it but it stops it spreading) I also was going to make some copper sulphate and hydrated lime mix (can't remember the French word)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Oh, I didn't realise Wilkinsons had got to Wilts. I don't use any fungicides in or outdoors so can't advise on that. I find that prevention works. I keep the surface of the compost free from any dead leaves etc. and don't over water. Works for me.

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

there is a wilkos in nearly every town I go to. and it's netto that hasn't made it south, and okay thank you

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Well I never - I am way behind the times. I obviously frequent the wrong places. I'm probably not more than a few miles away from you.

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we have all turned up at wrong place before I know I have several times lol and I'm in sn10 area

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Yep - just up the M4