Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yakutat_gardener

gift plant

Yakutat_gardener
10 years ago

i was given this plant. a co-worker was going to throw it away and instead gave it to me. I have no idea what it is, does anyone else?

Comments (7)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I think it may be Monstera deliciosa. When I had one, grown as a houseplant, only 1 leaf ever grew with a hole in it...and only 1 hole, at that. :P See more info at link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Split-leaf Philodendron

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The pic at top right, it looks like a new leaf is unfurling from the petiole of the previous, Philodendron I'd say from that though I can't see it clearly and Rosemarie is rarely wrong.

The back of the leaf should have a clue also.
    "If you are willing to do a bit of examination I can offer a few simple ways to determine if your plant is likely to be Monstera deliciosa or another Monstera species. Take your specimen and locate the largest leaf on the plant. Look directly beneath the blade at the point where the leaf joins the petiole (the stalk that supports the leaf). Can you see or feel a slight "bulge" or "bump"? Monstera possess a geniculum as do Anthurium and other genera, but Philodendron species do not. The geniculum allows the leaves to rotate to some degree in order to gather more light."
    - exoticrainforest.com
    There's a pic there to show what they mean.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

regardless of what it is.. its been highly abused ... neglected ...

head over to the houseplant forum... where they can tell you how to trim it back.. repot it.. and root the trimmings..

to make it a plant to be proud of ...

and if they root.. you can give one back to your friend.. and say ... THIS IS WHAT IT SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE ... lol, ..

ken

ps: i bet its one of those plants.. that you could root each node.. done right .... do you need 50 or so of them ... lol ... one thing for sure ..... dont settle for looking at it.. the way it is ...

10 years ago

Ken, you're out-doing yourself regarding idiotic commentary today. One for the record books. Impressive, in a kamikaze kind of way. You don't know what it is but you're sure it looks terrible?

It's a vine with no support to attach to, of course it's going to lean/dangle out of the pot. Some rehabilitative propagation wouldn't hurt, though this plant doesn't seem to have any health issues. I would change the soil on a warm day this spring (in the shade.)

Did you take it home, Yakutat, or will it continue to live in an office building?

• Yakutat_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh yeah, after it came to my office I sat down and went to work on it. LOTS of trimming and i found a great little starter to give back to her if she wants it. It did sound to me like it was just too much plant for her and she didn't want to deal with it. Either way I got a great plant out of it and it will look great in no time :-)

• Yakutat_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is in my "extra" office that has many other plants. I went out and got some dowels for the bigger vines and trimmed the leggy ones.

10 years ago

Sounds like you know what to do! Enjoy.